Small suspension tweak - sway-bar links and bushings?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EldRitch

I know that there are a couple of members who have done full F & R suspension mods on their EVs, but I'm looking for a more moderate tweak - specifically, tightening up the sway bars using firmer bushings and end-links.
I'm hoping that this might help tame the floaty behavior on the highway, and tighten up the steering a bit when cornering.
Has anyone sourced urethane sway-bar bushings or solid end-links that will fit rear and/or the front of the EV?

EldRitch said:
I know that there are a couple of members who have done full F & R suspension mods on their EVs, but I'm looking for a more moderate tweak - specifically, tightening up the sway bars using firmer bushings and end-links.
I'm hoping that this might help tame the floaty behavior on the highway, and tighten up the steering a bit when cornering.
Has anyone sourced urethane sway-bar bushings or solid end-links that will fit rear and/or the front of the EV?

I haven't done this with my Spark, but I've done it with my Miata autocross car. It's not really much of difference, I would not bother to do it again. Spend the money on tires or beer or something useful.

In particular, nothing you do to sway bars will change the floaty feeling on the highway. That would be influenced by shocks or springs. Sway bars change the handling balance of the car in turns by adjusting roll rate front vs rear. On an over powered front driver like the Spark EV you will want to reduce the roll rate in the front to help keep the inside tire hooked up and reduce understeer. Which will make the car roll even more, but stick better.

Bryce, if you read this, does the Spark corner on three wheels like a VW?

I did sway-bar bushings and links on an RX-7, and the difference was noticeable, although that car was much tighter to start than the Spark EV.
I'd just like to take the slop out of the sway-bar, to get a bit crisper turn-in, and these are fairly cheap parts and installations, compared to anything else in suspensions.

EldRitch said:
I did sway-bar bushings and links on an RX-7, and the difference was noticeable, although that car was much tighter to start than the Spark EV.
I'd just like to take the slop out of the sway-bar, to get a bit crisper turn-in, and these are fairly cheap parts and installations, compared to anything else in suspensions.

Enjoy, but I'd ask, how old was that RX-7?

I think the most promising improvement is probably better tires and getting the tire pressure right. I'm looking at General Tire ALTIMAX RT43 (H- OR V rated) as they seem to have low rolling resistance and decent performance and come in the right sizes. Obviously there are much sportier tires, but one of the trips I use the car for leaves me with only 5 or 6 miles of range when I get back, so I don't want to give up the low rolling resistance.

Perhaps you already have sporty tires, if so, which?

I'm using Dunlop Direzza DZ-102 summer tires, in 195x50 F and 205x50 R. They are much better handling than the OEM tires, have a very high wear rating for performance tires, and are also quiet.

I haven't been underneath the car yet but I'm hoping that urethane universal sway bar bushings and links might fit.

Oberon said:

Yes. That's the single biggest challenge with autocrossing this car. When you lift that inside rear, it will stop basically immediately with any brake application (whether it's by your foot or by the stability control). Once that wheel is slowing down faster than the rest (as one would expect), the stability control/ABS won't have it and puts a wet rag on the whole thing in the name of safety. It tries to get the car settled and pulls power for a moment as well.

Personally, I don't think you'd detect any difference in changing end links whatsoever. Bushings...maybe, but I think it'd be pretty minor if at all noticeable in any situations.

Bryce

Nashco said:
Oberon said:

Yes. That's the single biggest challenge with autocrossing this car. When you lift that inside rear, it will stop basically immediately with any brake application (whether it's by your foot or by the stability control). Once that wheel is slowing down faster than the rest (as one would expect), the stability control/ABS won't have it and puts a wet rag on the whole thing in the name of safety. It tries to get the car settled and pulls power for a moment as well. Bryce

Yikes! That sounds like no fun at all. Before the Miatas I autocrossed a Civic Si for a few years and competed with VW's. With the Honda, the best setup was the lighter front bar from the HX which would help keep the inside tire hooked up under power. But this can't do anything once that rear wheel lifts, so the VW set up would be the opposite. For the Spark maybe a stiffer front bar might work. Which would make the OP happy. Depending on how complicated the bar is, it might be possible to have one made.

Funny story, in a slalom it is possible to get a Civic to lift both inside tires, apparently high enough to alarm the officials at a practice event sufficiently to tell me to knock it off.

Back