Home Stereo Bookshelf Speakers by Wharfedale as Rear Speaker

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevesWeb

There was a pair of unused bookshelf speakers sitting idle in a seldom used room in our house, Wharfedale Diamond 7.1.

Until now I had a pair of cheap 6x9 speakers in generic gray carpet enclosures sitting in the rear passenger footwells. That produced some bass, but it got muddy fast at higher volume.

A few days ago I subbed in these Wharefedale speakers, thinking they were among the crud left in our house when we bought it furnished. It turns out they were my husband's but he graciously let me have them because they sound utterly fantastic.

They are just connected to the radio directly, no amps, but they must be very sensitive speakers as they create tremendous volume. I'm finally completely satisfied with the sound system in Sparky.

s-l1600.jpg

Nice!

Did you notice what the original speakers were rated? As in 4 ohms vs 8 ohms I mean. Most car speakers are 4 ohms as that makes them more efficient and save weight. I'd bet the Warfedales are 8 or 6 ohms. That will not be a problem of course, and they are loud enough, so no worries. The amplifier is most likely designed for 4 ohm speakers, and running it at 6 or 8 means is will max out at less power than it would at 4 ohms.

The problem with the 6X9's becoming muddy most likely has to do with the lack of a box around them, or they are so inefficient that the amplifier ran out of power. Or perhaps they have another problem, like a loose surround?

Sparkler said:
Nice!
The problem with the 6X9's becoming muddy most likely has to do with the lack of a box around them, or they are so inefficient that the amplifier ran out of power. Or perhaps they have another problem, like a loose surround?

The Wharfedales are 8 ohm speakers.

The 6 x 9s were JVC DRVN series and rated at 4 ohms impedance, in generic, shallow, gray-carpeted enclosures, but it seems the enclosures were of insufficient volume, or they suffered from the lack of a tuned port. They also were not a high end model, while Wharfedales are highly regarded.

Do you have these bookshelf speakers mounted in a safe manner?
Or will you take one to the head in a collision?

ANY small speaker needs an enclosure.
That's one reason the stock rear speakers are so lame.

NORTON said:
Do you have these bookshelf speakers mounted in a safe manner?
Or will you take one to the head in a collision?

They are simply resting on the floor in the back seat. But your question may present a false dichotomy, it does not necessarily follow that I will be injured simply because I could be.

StevesWeb said:
NORTON said:
... But your question may present a false dichotomy, it does not necessarily follow that I will be injured simply because I could be.
Isn't that how 'Safety' is thought of?

Anyway, sitting on that little floor area they are more contained than just sitting on the back seats.
High freq dispersion is not ideal but you have the fronts for that. I bet the car sounds so much better now!!

Back