Suspension to improve handling

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphos

Hi, I have a 2013 Spark EV and the rear wallows like crazy. The front is fine but I want to lock down the rear. I haven't found a rear sway bar but I have heard perhaps a Chevy Cruze rear sway bar might be adaptable? Also, I cant find any decent rear shocks. Bilstein has "universal" shocks but I think our rear shocks have to slide into a boot to mount. Megan Racing is for the standard Spark which is different and this is a daily driver, can't take it down for a bunch of fab work. Anyone have any luck with suspension upgrades on the rear?

I'm wondering the same thing. My Spark drives fairly well when moving in a straight line. But when it comes to stopping, it kind of sucks. I regularly get wheel chirp, and the stopping distance is really long. Also, if I have passengers in the car, the car seems to bounce up and down. I have ridden in the back of the car while someone in my family drives, and the car seems to float a lot and lose traction.

Some more research and I THINK this rear sway bar from the Cruze (Same suspension design) may cross over to the Spark EV:

Whiteline BHR93

The rear Bilstein shocks, if the Cruze shocks fit the Spark EV:

B6 (OEM replacement): 24171687
B8 (Sport Compression/ rebound): 24171717

This is still completely experimental. I will start with the shocks (B8) and see if I can get them to fit. If I am insanely lucky with those, I'll try the Whiteline sway bar.

Yes I did and Nashco's information is invaluable.

I am taking a slightly different angle mostly due to cost and time. While he was building a slalom car, I am going for a much less ambitious goal and a much lower price tag.

1) I don't want to lower the car and I want to keep the springs fairly soft to survive the craters they call potholes here in San Diego.
2) The Meagan Racing kit he used does NOT fit the EV in the rear. He did a fair amount of modification, which was awesome, but I am trying to stay as close to bolt-on as possible
3) From my slalom experience (88 Honda CRX) years ago, the biggest bang for the buck on a front drive car was locking down the rear suspension from sway. Some tightened it the rear down and left the front soft to the extent they would "Tripod" lifting a rear wheel in the turns. VW Golf guys were notorious for this, and being fast.
4) With the Megan Racing kit he got, I THINK he ditched the plan for the rear sway bar, I didn't see any later mention of it since the beginning of his thread. Please correct me if I just missed it.

So basically, I am trying to follow the 80/20 plan and see how far rear Bilsteins and a rear sway bar get me without knocking my fillings out.

I also found this thread:

http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4373&start=50

Unfortunately mitechman47 kind of disappeared after posting:

I installed/modified a Bilstein sport shock from the late model Chevy Cruise- this shock is shorter than the stock SparkEV but Its still too soft and not worth the money.

So I MAY be treading through familiar territory here but I have no idea which Bilstein model series he tried. The Bilstein Monotube series has always been stiff so I am guessing he tried their new Twin Tube nonsense they have been pushing lately. I'll order a Monotube model, tear the old one off, and do a stare and compare.

Bilstein 24-171687 B6

I know this is a different model number from my list above but it is listed for 2011 - 2013 Chevy Cruze which is about as close as I think I am going to get unless the new Bolt uses the same suspension. Looking into that as well.

Update: Order is in for the Bilstein shocks, should be delivered 8/4

It would be great to have a stiffer rear anti-roll bar...if it weren't for the extremely intrusive electronic stability control. I never figured out how to disable it (above 30 mph), and more inner rear tire lifting in the corners will just amplify the effects.

Please keep us posted. The more we hunt for solutions and share our results, the more likely we are to find something that works well.

Bryce

I just received the Bilsteins but will be out this weekend so looks like next week to see if they will install. I'll pull the old shock out and do a side by side photo and post it up. If this works out, a whiteline rear bar for 2013 Chevy Cruze will be my next purchase.

Also interested here. Anyone else tried to replace to stock dampers with something potentially better?

Back