When will GM stop making the Spark EV?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeman0

With the new Bolt coming out at years end, does anybody know if GM has stopped making the Spark EV? I currently lease a 2014 Spark EV, but I am thinking of buying one. Is the dealer inventory drying up?

The 2016 Spark EV is out there, having sold something like 216 units in February. My guess is they'll run dry towards the end of this year when the Bolt EV becomes available.

From what I've heard from some unofficial GM sources, it will only be a few more months...likely this summer they'll stop making them. With the time to ship these from Korea and distribute them, that means new inventory will stop rolling in by the third quarter. This makes sense, since Bolt EV ZEV credits will start rolling in the fourth quarter and the Spark EV is using the now discontinued previous generation Spark chassis.

If you want to buy one new, no time like the present! Of course, you'll be able to buy used units here and there, but if you want to buy new you'd better not delay very long.

Bryce

There's about 350 new SparkEV inventory according to autotrader while about 250 were sold in Feb. Assuming sales hold up and no new available, that's about 1.5 months inventory. Back in Apr. 2015, about 950 were sold, about 250 in May/June before inventory got tight. That suggest about 150 new a month coming into market. There's time to get it, probably until later part of the year if sales/inventory stay the course.

But if you want the best deal and sales hold up, I think sooner the better. I see some new 2016 in OR selling for $22K. If that's pre-subsidy price, that could be $12K in CA, or even $9K in some counties of CA! I mean, what new car, EV or not, can you buy for $12K or $9K, especially one that performs like SparkEV?

Back