I LOVE MY CHEVY SPARK EV!!!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I don't know about you all, but this is seriously the best car I've owned and I've been through many cars (sports cars mainly).

It handles and grip amazing, it's basically free to lease (I would own one if batteries lasted through more charge cycles), and it's very stealth.

I am looking forward to the BOLT
Cheers all :mrgreen:

I have had mine a year now and felt the same way right away.
I still really love the lil car.
It still fun to blast away from traffic from a stoplight.

Totally agree! I've only been driving mine for about a month, but I look for reasons to drive it. So much fun. I should make a commission on every one of my friends that will end up buying/leasing one. I still have my ICE car - mainly because it's not worth selling, and it's a Mercedes, and my female friend tells me I have to keep it because women like nice cars... Women, are, for the most part, idiots. (OK, that wasn't very nice!) I mean, is there a single woman on this forum?

My guy friends are all over it. Female friends think it's "cute". If it was a Tesla, there'd be no issue. But, I don't care. I'll take the woman out a few times in the MBZ and if we get something going longer term, it's the Spark from then on. :)

Things I love about it:

1) Surprisingly clean and loud stereo.
2) SPEED. So fun to drive. It accelerates effortlessly. so smooth.
3) Gauge package. The best on ANY car I've ever owned or seen, period. Personally, I prefer it over the Tesla. Big, colorful, easy to read, very intuitive, and fun/functional.
4) Bluetooth apps, so I can run Pandora from my phone, and actually see the songs on the dash. Bringo is pretty cool, but it's not Google; doesn't give you the time estimates, which I rely on, but it's cool looking and functional.
5) Hatchback. You can fit tons of stuff in a hatchback.
6) Head-room. And it comfortable fits four people. I'm 6'4" and it's comfy enough for me even in the back seat.
7) I like the body style. It's quirky, but it's not kinda goofy, like the Leaf.
8) The price. I mean... it's a free car. The savings in gas and maintenance completely covers the full - and I mean everything - expense of owning this even as a SECOND car, (extra insurance and registration, etc). Assuming you fill up your tank in your ICE car once a week,m anyway.

Overall, it's just a really, really, well thought out car. If this thing went 200 miles on a charge - even 150 - I'd never trade it in. But, the main thing is it's just plain FUN to drive.

If I had to pick a thing or two I don't lkike, it would be:

1) Obviously, battery life. It works for me for 80%, or more, of my needs, but it's JUST a tiny bit short. Another 20 mile range and it would be perfect. But, I can deal with it, and it's not a deal-breaker.
2) Quality of the doors. I like something that feels solid and shuts with a satisfying thud, like a luxury car does. But, again, minor, especially given the price point - comparatively speaking. For $28k, you expect a little more in the door-closing satisfaction department.
3) No arm rest on the left for the passenger seat. What's up with that? I have long arms and could use it, myself, from the drivers side. And, the door arm rests could be better padded.
4) The car could be a few inches wider.

But, the negatives are truly minor. You can't have everything in any car - or anyTHING, in life.

Actually i had a few female friends who like the spark ev. They say it is cute. It takes a real man to drive one of these hhahaha.

Anywho yeah i love this car. The rpad noise is a bit more than other luxury car and the tires can use an upgrade. Obviously it is not a tesla, but heh i am doing it to help save the planet or at least prolong the human race's demise.

Bow i am really considering the tesla, but no way can it justify the cost. I will have to wait a bit more. The cheap model 3 will be my next car with hopefully the longer range option on it than the 200 miles.

I remember starting a similar thread not too long ago :).

In any case, still love to drive it. The climate control is... well, let's just call it odd. Other than that though, for the price, no complaints.

I'm also waiting for either the Bolt or the Tesla 3. Whatever comes first is what I'm getting once my lease is up. I had considered a model S, but I'd have a heck of time fitting it in my typical SF garage. There's also the price. I could swing it if I *really* wanted to, but lets just say that I'd probably be eating crackers and easy cheese exclusively for awhile. Well, perhaps not the easy cheese. That stuff isn't cheap! Just saltines and water.

Anyhow, no regrets here. A super peppy fun to drive car powered by the solar panels on my roof. Can't beat that.

I mean, is there a single woman on this forum?

Really ezryder?

Did you mean any women at all on this forum? Or are you looking for a date? :D

I am a woman (married not single). I've owned a SparkEV 2014 since July 1913 and love, love, love it.

Why? Basically for all the reasons you've mentioned.
I love a car with pick-up and go! This car is so much fun to drive!

One year, 8 months in and I have no regrets.

This is a great car!

I'm single woman. Mercedes ? Meh.
I drive an F-350 Diesel Crew cab.
Anything that is in the mainstream EV section is "cute" in my book - minus the Tesla.

For me it isn't a bout cute or not. It's about the EV aspects of it.

Although I will probably not get the Spark EV as they won't sell it out here. I will most likely get the I-MiEV.... and it is ADORABLE !!!!!!!

hahaha :lol: Course I will also put animal magnets all over it and maybe even those headlight Eye lashes they sell
Kookie, I know, but hey. Life is short, have fun !

Edit to add... Forgot, I also have a Suburban, it too is paid off and I will not be getting rid of either of my Vehicles once I buy the EV. My son has the 'Burpin as we call it.

tigger19687 said:
I'm single woman. Mercedes ? Meh.
I drive an F-350 Diesel Crew cab.
Anything that is in the mainstream EV section is "cute" in my book - minus the Tesla.

For me it isn't a bout cute or not. It's about the EV aspects of it.

Although I will probably not get the Spark EV as they won't sell it out here. I will most likely get the I-MiEV.... and it is ADORABLE !!!!!!!

hahaha :lol: Course I will also put animal magnets all over it and maybe even those headlight Eye lashes they sell
Kookie, I know, but hey. Life is short, have fun !

Edit to add... Forgot, I also have a Suburban, it too is paid off and I will not be getting rid of either of my Vehicles once I buy the EV. My son has the 'Burpin as we call it.
The i-Miev is pretty short on range, and no quick charger, and no guts. It's the least selling of all EV's, as I recall, too. If you want "adorable", go with the Fiat 500e. That's a nice car, but also costs more than the Spark EV, and doesn't have a quick charger. And trust me, having an EV without a QC option is just not something you want. Total deal-breaker. For me, it's a commuter car - even though I barely commute, since I work from home, mostly - and is really just a FUN car. And my MBZ is nothing to drool over; it's a C230 - but it's a 2-door hatchback with fold-down back seats, and I've used it like a truck. I've hauled 8' fence beams in it, resting on my dash and slanting all the way to the back hatch. And lots of other stuff. It also has the Kompressor engine - which is awesome. Sounds great and moves nicely. I only bought the Spark EV because it's cool and it doesn't need me to fill it up with gas and maintain it like an ICE car. It feels "futuristic". Tesla? Meh. Whatever. Gorgeous car, and if I wanted to squeeze my budget I could afford it, but why? Range? Yeah, that'd be cool. But the reality is, I don't need that range more than once in awhile, and then, because of the DC Fast Charger, it takes me an extra 30 minutes to get to a few of the places I go that take an hour and a half anyway. Stretching it to two hours - while I grab a quick bite - is no big deal. I haven't used the MBZ in 6 weeks. The Spark EV rides better and has more power than the C230. It has a decent stereo and all the cool electronics and gadgets and bells and whistles. It's heaven for a non-nerdy techy like me. :) I let a friend of mine drive it a few weeks ago; he owns a brand new Aston Martin. After driving the Spark EV he was telling everyone at this party about it. His comment was, "If you drive it, you'll want one.".

ezryder said:
And trust me, having an EV without a QC option is just not something you want. Total deal-breaker.

I bought without the quick charge, it's a non issue for me. I spent the last three years driving an EV with a 50 mile range. And for the first two of those years, all I had was level 1 charging at home (120v)! I sometimes had to opportunity charge at home between trips (because if I fully depleted the battery, it wouldn't fully charge up overnight at level 1), no problem. Now I've got 80 mile range and level 2 charging at home, talk about care free, lol!

Personally my experience with public charging in general has not been very good. Unreliable, already in use, etc. I would not count on quick charging somewhere to get you where you need to be.

oh, and I love my Spark also. :D

I bought without the quick charge, it's a non issue for me.

My Spark doesn't have a QC either. There aren't any quick charging stations anywhere near where I live, so I wouldn't have even had the opportunity to use one in the year and a half I've owned the car if I'd had one. My L 2 charging station in my garage is my main charging station.

jsca72 said:

My Spark doesn't have a QC either. There aren't any quick charging stations anywhere near where I live, so I wouldn't have even had the opportunity to use one in the year and a half I've owned the car if I'd had one. My L 2 charging station in my garage is my main charging station.
Same here. My Spark EV is my in-town runabout/commuter. Everything I need to do is within 10 miles, so I can make multiple trips throughout the day without needing a recharge. I may never plug into a public charging station, since charging at home does the job.

For longer out-of-town trips, we use our Volt, and have other vehicles just in case. Most 2-car households could run just fine on one EV like the Spark, and one gasser.

If you have a choice between Tesla P85D, Corvette, SparkEV, what would you take? You can't simply buy then turn around to sell it; you must drive it. My answer is SparkEV.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05/vs-tesla-p85d-2015-corvette-and-kicking.html

SteveC5088 said:
jsca72 said:

Same here. My Spark EV is my in-town runabout/commuter. Everything I need to do is within 10 miles
Depending on your energy use, some public charging is cheaper than home charging. This is especially true with DCFC where charging efficiency is higher than L1 or L2 charging. Of course, it's not much (few dollars), but home charging is not always better. If your electric use is in SDGE tier 3 (which would be most families without solar), public use will be cheaper. Well, at least for now.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/05/public-chargers-in-socal.html

Back