tire pressure readings

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawl

I bought a digital pressure gauge but it differs from the dashboard tire pressure readings by about 4 pounds (over). Anyone have a sense of how accurate the tire pressure system is, or is not?

On my car, it's reading the TP's while driving, which would be higher than cold static pressures.

Also, check your new gauge against a known good one.

Pawl said:
I bought a digital pressure gauge but it differs from the dashboard tire pressure readings by about 4 pounds (over). Anyone have a sense of how accurate the tire pressure system is, or is not?

I set my cold tire pressure to 37 PSI using a digital tire gauge and I only use the car's monitoring system to make sure nothing major is happening. I recheck my cold tire pressure using the digital tire gauge if the car's numbers drop to 34-35 PSI.

pawl,

You need a tie-breaker.
Compare your tire pressure gauge to others. You'll probably have to average the results. Don't count the TPMS as a reliable source.
I have access to certified test equipment at work and I've found those digital tire pressure gauges are surprisingly accurate !

Thanks for the tips. I'll go to a tire shop and ask if they can compare my digital handheld to a shop gauge. This that should break the tie. If it were off by just a pound, I'd not sweat it, but 4-5 pounds is no bueno.

My TPMS is very similar to the two reliable mechanical gauges I've used. If one sensor seemed inconsistent with the others I wouldn't be surprised, but if all of your sensor readings are consistently different from your digital gauge, I'd suspect the gauge rather than all four sensors having the exact same error.

Bryce

Back