instrument lighting?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikwax

Recently I'm noticing that the instruments appear to be dimming themselves in the daytime. Granted, it's overcast and raining here most of the time now, but I don't recall seeing this behaviour before. Is there a setting for this, or is there possibly an issue with the instrument lighting?

nikwax said:
Recently I'm noticing that the instruments appear to be dimming themselves in the daytime. Granted, it's overcast and raining here most of the time now, but I don't recall seeing this behaviour before. Is there a setting for this, or is there possibly an issue with the instrument lighting?
I too have encountered this from time to time whenever the sky gets dark enough or I drive into a heavily shaded area. The dash sensor thinks it is night and dims the dash lighting to compensate. Sometimes I have to manually adjust the dash lighting by using the little wheel to the right of the CONFIG selector found on the dash to the left and just below the steering wheel.

nikwax said:
thanks, good to know it's not just my car.

I've got the illumination turned all the way up in the day time, and usually all the way down at night.
I think daytime is set to max and night is adjustable. At night, I keep mine set to a bit above minimum to keep the glare down at night. With that setting, if I am out in daylight and suddenly enter a shaded area sufficient to trigger the sensor, I find my display almost disappears and I have to turn up the brightness to see the display. Then It will be way too bright at night if I do not readjust the brightness setting back to what I had before I entered the shaded area. polarized dark glasses make the problem even worse.

I flip the auto lights off during the day, and leave the lights in the auto setting at night. This alleviates the brightness fluctuation problem entirely, as the instrument lights go to full brightness when you switch off the auto lights.

Bryce

Nashco said:
I flip the auto lights off during the day, and leave the lights in the auto setting at night. This alleviates the brightness fluctuation problem entirely, as the instrument lights go to full brightness when you switch off the auto lights.

Bryce
I do the same unless I am driving down two-lane roads with no center divider.

Back