Does this happen to you?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67goat

I use a USB stick for music. Other than the horrible shuffle feature, it works well. However, I have noticed that about 40% of the time, when I restart the car (usually after being off at least a few hours) the song that is playing is not the song that was playing when I got out of the car.

At first I thought I must be imagining it, but I started taking notes. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens frequently. What's really interesting, is that it starts in the same place (song A was at 2 min 31 sec when I got out, song B will be at 2 min 31 sec when I get in), it's just a completely different song.

Anybody else notice this?

67goat said:
I use a USB stick for music. Other than the horrible shuffle feature, it works well. However, I have noticed that about 40% of the time, when I restart the car (usually after being off at least a few hours) the song that is playing is not the song that was playing when I got out of the car.

At first I thought I must be imagining it, but I started taking notes. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens frequently. What's really interesting, is that it starts in the same place (song A was at 2 min 31 sec when I got out, song B will be at 2 min 31 sec when I get in), it's just a completely different song.

Anybody else notice this?

I saw this on mine, it was fairly bad when I first got the car. I listen to podcasts and it would often restart from a previous stopping point not the most recent. (either position or podcast)

I experimented with various ways of adding the ID3 data to the MP3. It seemed to work better when I generated it in using iTunes rather than MP3TAG although it did occur occasionally even then.

The cover image did not always appear on the screen even when I used iTunes. I never found out why.

kevin

I have used the USB music a bit, but have not noticed this issue. I am playing Ogg and MP3 files with what the dealer says is the latest head unit software.

Most of my music has horrible tag data. That might contribute.

I also noticed if you go over a speed bump too fast, it will switch to the radio. I think the sub drive must lose connection briefly.

My biggest complaint with the car is that it does not seem to respect the "track number" tag on files from a usb stick. So it plays albums with the songs in alphabetical order. Which is total fail for some albums. I've thought of retagging my mp3s with the title being <album>-<track>-<real title> but that is pretty annoying. Does anyone know how to get it to play things in a sensible order? Or even what it is using as the sort key? And, should I make all the files in one directory, or keep my current nested artist/album scheme?

Nested folders seem to be fine. As for non-shuffle, alpha seems to be it. There are some programs you can use to bulk update file names. I always use shuffle, and it is pretty horrible (some songs get played very often and others never get played).

Initially I was using USB sticks too, I had the problem of them disappearing sometimes. Now I keep an iPod nano hooked to the USB in my 2014 Spark EV. I find the iPod produces a higher volume level than the built-in MP3 player used for USB sticks.

The iPod also behaves oddly sometimes, occasionally when I boot up the car it behaves as if the iPod was disconnected, reverting to radio. If I unplug then reconnect the USB cable the iPod does get recognized.

Overall using the iPod seems more reliable for me.

I'm aware the multimedia system uses Microsoft software, so I try to set my expectations accordingly.

Back