HV Battery Failure 2016 Spark - Reimbursement?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent123

Hi everybody,

So my 2016 Spark EV with 74,xxx miles had been acting a little funny. The GOM range was becoming less and less reliable, and I had to tow it once when I supposedly still had 4 miles left.
Anyway, it recently died pulling into my driveway and wouldn't take a charge. It displayed a few miles left on the GOM, but wouldn't move. Level 1 and 2 chargers wouldn't work. "Unable to charge" message displayed.
So I called Chevy roadside assistance and got the issue escalated and the guy explained that I would need to pay for a tow to the nearest Chevy dealer, but that if it was a repair covered by warranty that I would be reimbursed. The dealer pulled the traction battery out, tested it, and finally decided that it was covered by the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty. So I called roadside assistance back and got an e-mail address to send the information to and am hoping to be reimbursed. I'll update when I hear back.

More importantly, the dealer has stated that no battery is available, anywhere, for my 2016. They suggested I call GM and then said that they don't know how long the car can be stored at the dealership so I need to get the ball rolling. Great.
GM is apparently going through a "review" of the situation, confirming that the part isn't available and that the car can be bought back. They're going to talk to the dealer and get back to me by Monday.
I keep asking the dealer and GM about getting a loaner car, as I am stuck without transportation while this is going on, and the best answer I got was from GM today. They said that I can rent a car and hope for reimbursement once they finish the "review." They don't know how long that finishing it will take, and wouldn't guarantee that I'll be reimbursed.
So my question for you all is this: have you been through the process of getting reimbursed for your under-warranty repair, and would you trust GM to actually honor it? I don't want to pay the money for the car if I might not get reimbursed.
Thanks everybody!
Brent

Back