Due for the 97,500 mile DexCool w/additives coolant change but am nervous

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyPete

Hi Guys, I'm at 96,852 miles on my 2015 Spark EV. I am of course soon due for a coolant change with the orange Dexcool but with zero experience with my local Central MA Chevrolet dealer which does not sell many EVs and probably never has seen a Spark EV, I have concerns about the actual work they will perform. I've gotten quotes for $100 to $300 plus. I was hoping to go the "Trust but Verify" route by using some type of tool to do a before and after reading of the condition on the coolant. I have seen the old-fashioned $10 colored ball testers, and then paper test strips and finally refractometers ranging from $22 dollars and up. My understanding is that the properties of the coolant that should concern me are the anti-corrosion additives more than it's boiling and freezing point or how dirty it looks (Still looks new to me).

One video on youtube explains that a refractometer will not tell you the conidtion on the anti-corrosion additives so I feel I am stuck.

As of July 2024, I have yet to see a Youtube video, DIY Instructions, pictures or anything remotely close to what this process is or where they even drain the coolant. Do they use a pressure bleeder like the brakes? I assume they have to run some routine with GDS2? I have VXDIag but have not used it for more than a power brake bleed and reading battery voltages. My friend has access to ALLDATA and says he has found zero information.

Can anyone help?

Oh Boy,

This is a deep rabbit hole. I'm not sure a PH test will cut it. Any Chemistry and/or Automotive Engineering graduate students on the board?

"ASTM D1384 is a simple glassware corrosion test that can be used to evaluate the corrosion inhibition properties of a coolant on various metal specimens. The metal specimens used are those that are typically found in an engine cooling system (copper, solder, brass, steel, cast iron and cast aluminum).

So how does the test work?

1. These metal specimens are arranged in bundles and immersed in a coolant test solution.
  2. The coolant test solution is prepared using corrosive water (sodium sulphate, sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate).
  3. The coolant solution is heated to 88°C for a period of 336 hours. The coolant solution is also aerated.
  4. After the test period, the metal specimens are removed from the coolant solution, after which they are cleaned, dried and weighed.
  5. The inhibition performance of the coolant is evaluated based on the weight changes on each of the specimens. Negative values indicate weight gain, while a positive value indicates weight loss."
😖 and 🤯

And thats just a snippet. For the complete report visit Dober.com below.

https://www.dober.com/performance-fluids/resources/why-electric-vehicle-coolants-fail-basic-tests"

I saw this response to a similar thread Brad Woolery on the Facebook Spark EV site:

"Apparently GM tests the coolant with a "GE 26568 Coolant and Battery Tester" which looks like a normal refractometer to my untrained eye."

Might it be possible to use a $20 refractometer for ethylene glycol or propylene glycol and battery fluid available on Amazon to get some of the "before" readings I need?

Hi Guys, I'm at 96,852 miles on my 2015 Spark EV. I am of course soon due for a coolant change with the orange Dexcool but with zero experience with my local Central MA Chevrolet dealer which does not sell many EVs and probably never has seen a Spark EV, I have concerns about the actual work they will perform. I've gotten quotes for $100 to $300 plus. I was hoping to go the "Trust but Verify" route by using some type of tool to do a before and after reading of the condition on the coolant. I have seen the old-fashioned $10 colored ball testers, and then paper test strips and finally refractometers ranging from $22 dollars and up. My understanding is that the properties of the coolant that should concern me are the anti-corrosion additives more than it's boiling and freezing point or how dirty it looks (Still looks new to me).

One video on youtube explains that a refractometer will not tell you the conidtion on the anti-corrosion additives so I feel I am stuck.

As of July 2024, I have yet to see a Youtube video, DIY Instructions, pictures or anything remotely close to what this process is or where they even drain the coolant. Do they use a pressure bleeder like the brakes? I assume they have to run some routine with GDS2? I have VXDIag but have not used it for more than a power brake bleed and reading battery voltages. My friend has access to ALLDATA and says he has found zero information.

Can anyone help?
Spend the money & let Dealer do the work. Then, any downstream issues are theirs to resolve, not yours.

bnc

I am due for this too in my 2015 Spark EV that just hit 98k today, which I bought in September 2017 with 19k. It has never been to a dealer while I have owned it, but eventually I need to respond to the hood latch recall.

Is this the correct fluid?

ACDelco GM Original Equipment Dex-Cool Extended Life Engine Coolant - 1 gal
GM Part # 12346290
ACDelco Part # 10-101

This coolant shows to be used in both the 2015 Spark EV and 2017 Bolt EV.

If the process is not much different between the 2015 Spark EV and 2017 Bolt EV, I expect there are a lot more dealers with 2017 Bolt EV service experience and that is likely to translate.

Again, if Dealer does the work/service, you have more coverage if something goes wrong than if you DIY...

At the end of the day, it's your car, and your choice.

YMMV.

bnc

Thanks everyone. I guess we will find out this month!

Btw, I bought the cheap refractometer and PH paper. I did some lazy and I'm sure inaccurate calibration the refractometer which is a hassle since that required a bottle of distilled water at 68 degrees and took some readings. The temp that day happened to be at around 68 degrees here in Central MA but I may have been a degree or two off. I'm not expecting much and I'm kind of thinking my readings won't result in much useful data but it's something.

Readings were: Ethylene -37 degrees
PH for the Coolant was around 8 using cheap paper strips from Amazon.com

Back