Battery Conditioning: Has anyone actually seen it?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaconzies

So I've read quite a few posts about efficiency and how much energy people use driving or using AC, but I've yet to see any that have actually seen the battery conditioning percentage go to anything but 0%. I personally live in CA and have had great weather since I've gotten my car and have never seen it on the screen. Which makes me ask: Has anyone experienced the battery conditioning? If so, what was the temperature, how much energy did it use and how long did it last? :?: Also, this is a question for Spark EV owners or those who have actually observed the system, please don't post any off-topic comments or engage in slander of other members.
Thanks! :?

I've only seen it active a couple of times, and each time it was pretty close to the century mark. Took less than 5% as I recall.

Happened to me today... Temp on the car said 110, and was the hottest day of the year here in the Sacramento area. I think it was under 5%, but it surprised me. Guess it's just the Sparks thermal management doing its job.

My battery lost considerable range during a very very hot day a couple of months ago...but even then, I've NEVER EVER seen the thermal management system use any battery power...it's surprising and I'm not sure why that is.

nozferatu said:
My battery lost considerable range during a very very hot day a couple of months ago...but even then, I've NEVER EVER seen the thermal management system use any battery power...it's surprising and I'm not sure why that is.
you nozferatu,had few powertrain issues awhile back from what I recall, please share if and when it gets resolved.
It also would be interesting to see how the 2015 model is behaving in this respect.

I've had the battery conditioning come on twice now. Once on a day trip to Sacramento for errands and the other time parked outside while I worked all day. Both times it was around 105 degrees and probably a little hotter on the asphalt. Each time it only used something like 2-3% according to the report.

Unfortunately, I was out of town when it was really hot earlier this month to see what happens at high temperatures. However, when it was very cold I did have the battery conditioning used. It seems to be necessary once the battery temperature dips into the low 20s (F). It only happened a couple of times, so I couldn't determine if there was a trend between conditioning the battery when pre-heating the car and when driving the car, I just know it only happened when it was very cold (by Portland standards).

Bryce

Back