Changing Drive Unit Fluid early because of this......

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORTON

"Dexron HP synthetic fluid in the 1ET35 Transmission appears to be overheated or extremely dark in color"
From this technical GM site: http://gm.oemdtc.com/3244/chevrolet-spark-ev-bev-1et35-transmission-fluid-appears-overheated-or-dark-in-color-2014-2015-chevrolet-spark-ev

Crap, :eek: skip to the picture at the bottom of the page....

There is such a thing as a $20 Oil Analysis that will scientifically tell you what is going on.
It looks like THE reason for this page is to stifle warranty claims.

Which may be justified, but I plan on running out the clock with this little EV Hot Rod.
I'm going to be changing the ATF sometime this summer (@ ~ 35-40 k miles, not the recommended 97 k.)
I'll be doing it the low-tech way by draining and refilling with the exact same amount that came out.
I'll be using the recommended Dexron HP. I found it for ~$14 qt. (How much do I need?)
And I'll be getting an oil analysis sample kit from the local CAT (heavy equipment) service center. It's a small sample bottle and a post-paid padded envelope. The results are emailed. I'll post them here.

Hmm. From what I see, it sounds like the fluid is being used in an application where it may "wear" the friction modifiers or some other molecular component of the ATF but doesn't affect the transmission's use of the fluid or the transmission itself. If it's really changing color at 15,000 miles and nobody is having any issues and GM isn't saying here to immediately replace the fluid, then it's probably ok. The drivetrain has a 60,000 mile warranty, including the motor and transmission. (It's not exactly clear but the motor has a 100,000 mile warranty, which may also include the transmission) At any rate GM cares enough to have it last that long. So if the fluid is "bad" at 15k, for GM to say it's normal/fine, well... if it was bad they'd say to replace it!

My curiosity is what is breaking down the fluid. Probably not heat. Excessive shear force? Electrical arcing?

It appears the fluid is black but not burnt, as looking up pictures of bad transmission fluid show usually a brownish to carmel colored fluid. The provided picture is black almost like there is suspended carbon or something else in it, and like the fluid wasn't dyed red in the first place.

Here's the warranty information from the 2014 pamphlet on the car:

Warranty information
100,000-mile/5-year transferable powertrain limited warranty.
Every 2014 Chevrolet passenger car, light-duty truck, SUV and crossover
comes with a 100,000-mile/5-year (whichever comes first) transferable
Powertrain Limited Warranty. Plus, you get 100,000 miles/5 years
(whichever comes first) of the 24/7 Roadside Assistance Program, the
Courtesy Transportation Program, and much more. See dealer for details.

NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY.
GM vehicles registered in the USA are covered for 36,000 miles/3 years
(whichever comes first). The complete vehicle is covered, including tires,
towing to your nearest Chevrolet dealership and cosmetic corrosion
resulting from defects. Repairs will be made to correct any vehicle defect,
and most warranty repairs will be made at no charge. In addition, rustthrough
corrosion will be covered for 100,000 miles/6 years (whichever
comes first). See dealer for details.

Battery limited warranty.
Spark EV battery and specific electric drive components are covered for
100,000 miles/8 years (whichever comes first). The Spark EV battery
warranty covers 161 battery components in addition to the thermal
management system, charging system and electric drive components.
See dealer for details.

And here's the 2015 information:
100,000-mile/5-year transferable powertrain
limited warranty
Every 2015 Chevrolet Spark EV comes with
a 100,000-mile/5-year (whichever comes first) transferable
Powertrain Limited Warranty. Plus, you get 100,000 miles/5 years
(whichever comes first) of the 24/7 Roadside Assistance Program
and 100,000 miles/8 years (whichever comes first) of the Courtesy
Transportation Program, and much more. See dealer for details.

NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY GM vehicles registered in
the USA are covered for 36,000 miles/3 years (whichever comes
first). The complete vehicle is covered, including tires, towing to
your nearest Chevrolet dealership and cosmetic corrosion resulting
from defects. Repairs will be made to correct any vehicle defect,
and most warranty repairs will be made at no charge. In addition,
rust-through corrosion will be covered for 100,000 miles/6 years
(whichever comes first). See dealer for details.

Battery limited warranty Spark EV battery and specific
electric drive components are covered for 100,000 miles/8 years
(whichever comes first). The Spark EV battery warranty covers
161 battery components in addition to the thermal management
system, charging system and electric drive components. See
dealer for details.

So 5 years 100,000 miles minimum on this part, with potentially 8 years if it counts as part of the motor. If the fluid was truly bad at 15k, wouldn't be in GM's best interest to replace it?

JeremyW said:
Here's the warranty information from the 2014 pamphlet on the car:
So 5 years 100,000 miles minimum on this part, with potentially 8 years if it counts as part of the motor. If the fluid was truly bad at 15k, wouldn't be in GM's best interest to replace it?
>It's the Owner's Manual that calls out the 97.5k mile drive unit fluid change. I don't plan on selling this little turd, so I'm changing the fluid sooner than called for.
My question is how much of the Dexron HP do I need to have on hand when I drain and refill?
Last time I did an oil analysis on engine oil, if was a $15 kit. I'm definitely getting an analysis done so we can say WTH is going on with this drive unit.

>If the fluid was that dark, shouldn't there be an explanation?
A scientific explanation, as in an oil analysis. Maybe it was just the insulation that was used on the stator windings that is leaching its color into the fluid and giving it that nasty look.
Don't know, don't care. It's getting changed! Someday....

That site looks like it's some third party, not GM. Is there a GM TSB on this? If so, I can't find it.

I want to change the drive unit fluid, but now I can't find any info online for this procedure.
I found on the Volt forum a few good pictures of the drain, fill and the fill level plugs on that drive unit.

Does anyone here have a manual or a link that show these plug locations on the Spark EV drive unit?
I thought they were posted on this forum before, but I can't find them now.

Thanks, N

Back