Email received from Chevrolet Spark Advisor Team

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcmann

A couple of weeks ago I emailed Chevrolet regarding the vague advertising information regarding the SAE Fast Charge option on the Spark EV, below is the response I received back:

Lastly there is the SAE Fast Charge option. The Chevrolet.com website indicates that the SAE out-of-home charger is for late availability.  This option needs to be selected when first ordering your Spark EV. A Spark EV cannot be retrofitted with this option after it has been manufactured. Spark EVs with the DC Fast charge option will be available in late November 2013 for ordering. 

Although I am very happy with my Spark EV, it would have been nice to know this prior to leasing my car to better make an informed decision.

Did you notice that they didn't say anything about the fact that if you spend $750 for that port, there isn't a single operational public Frankenplug charge station to plug into?

One guy already took his car back over this.

TonyWilliams said:
Did you notice that they didn't say anything about the fact that if you spend $750 for that port, there isn't a single operational public Frankenplug charge station to plug into?

Luckily it's not a big issue for me as I have a 50 mile round trip daily commute and the 240v Level 2 Charger installed in my garage is good enough for MOST days. However, with that being said, I would like to have the option to "top off" the battery on days that I have a side trip outside my daily commute and a Fast DC charging option would be great. But as you have stated on many other posts on this forum, there are none currently available, which is a shame.

TonyWilliams said:

Nobody took their car back, the claim was not backed up with the name of the dealer and the troll disappeared after he was challenged, but you still keep on trying spread the troll bait, don't you, Tony. What's your purpose here?

Despite Tony's attempts at spreading FUD because GM and a host of other companies chose a different 'format' than what he wants, DC fast charge stations compatible with the Spark and other makes will be showing up within the next year.

Here's a recent article that might help you understand where things are at with the topic of DC charging:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084771_gm-bmw-complete-testing-of-new-ccs-quick-charging-stations-for-electric-cars

Yes, you are the "one speed" forum troll !!! Everybody's out to get... something, and we're required to answer to... you? Heck, I would never bother responding to any demand for personal information from a troll like you, so I'm not surprised the guy who turned in the car won't.

Yes, Frankenplugs WILL absolutely show up someday; that you can count on. But, they aren't here today. Neither are cars that can use it.

For most folks, electric cars in general are charged at home, and nowhere else. If that's what you have planned for your Spark EV, great!! Planning on buying one today with the intent of charging out in the public will likely be a painful experience at 3.3kW (about 10-15 miles gained per hour of charging).

Good luck with the freedom of electric transport.

By the way, I'm on my third year of pure EV travel, and I'm also 100% solar powered at my house.

Tony

Blackmamba said:
TonyWilliams said:

Nobody took their car back, the claim was not backed up with the name of the dealer and the troll disappeared after he was challenged, but you still keep on trying spread the troll bait, don't you, Tony. What's your purpose here?

Despite Tony's attempts at spreading FUD because GM and a host of other companies chose a different 'format' than what he wants, DC fast charge stations compatible with the Spark and other makes will be showing up within the next year.

Here's a recent article that might help you understand where things are at with the topic of DC charging:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084771_gm-bmw-complete-testing-of-new-ccs-quick-charging-stations-for-electric-cars

Well you sure got by on 3.3kw chargers just fine during your 3 year time, other than loss of range capability due to the substandard Leaf batteries Nissan continues to put into Leafs, dumping them on unsuspecting buyers who deserve better. You included.... :roll:

Most anybody else also can get by on the 3.3. What people have with the Spark EV is a superior car in so very many ways compared to other EVs available, it's making GM haters like you and your fellow trolls resort to lies in an attempt to hold back the swelling tidal wave of interest in the EV Spark.

:lol:

The EV Spark is a game changer. It's got the goods to make a big impact for EVs in the market.

Blackmamba said:
Well you sure got by on 3.3kw chargers just fine during your 3 year time, other than loss of range capability due to the substandard Leaf batteries Nissan continues to put into Leafs, dumping them on unsuspecting buyers who deserve better. You included.... :roll:

You seem to be stuck in a LEAF vs Spark EV time warp. I personally don't care if folks buy either (I'm not an investor in GM or Nissan, but I am a Tesla investor). My concern, from my very first post on this forum, is for folks who buy a Spark and expect quick charge capability. Obviously, at least one person has already been burned, but was able to return the car for a LEAF. It looks like you got burned pretty good with your crazy talk on that one!

There are plenty of other cars. I actually don't have any LEAF currently, but did own two. My current car is a Rav4 EV, which uses a Tesla drivetrain and batteries in a compact SUV package. But, it has no DC quick charge capability. I get by with 100-150 miles range, though!

Most anybody else also can get by on the 3.3. What people have with the Spark EV is a superior car in so very many ways compared to other EVs available, it's making GM haters like you and your fellow trolls resort to lies in an attempt to hold back the swelling tidal wave of interest in the EV Spark.

Everybody can "get by" with 3.3 charging for overnight. It's when you need power in the middle of the day away from the house that it's a joke. I don't agree that a Spark EV conversion from an older oil burner platform, built in limited quantities for the CARB states of California and Oregon only, for the purpose of CARB-ZEV mandates and compliance is the "best" EV possible. Sorry if that deflates your car a bit.

I hope their is a "swelling" of interest in all EV's and not just the blood rushing to your head!!!

The EV Spark is a game changer. It's got the goods to make a big impact for EVs in the market.

Well, let's see in a few years about that boast. LEAF is at 70,000 sold, with 100,000 expected by year's end. Tesla Model S is a game changer... converted compliance car, eh, don't think so.

What people have with the Spark EV is a superior car in so very many ways compared to other EVs available, it's making GM haters like you and your fellow trolls resort to lies in an attempt to hold back the swelling tidal wave of interest in the EV Spark.

TonyWilliams said:
I don't agree that a Spark EV conversion from an older oil burner platform, built in limited quantities for the CARB states of California and Oregon only, for the purpose of CARB-ZEV mandates and compliance is the "best" EV possible. Sorry if that deflates your car a bit.

I hope their is a "swelling" of interest in all EV's and not just the blood rushing to your head!!!

Nobody said ' "best" EV possible', but I did say superior in many ways to other EVs available. You don't think so? The great Denial Syndrome rampant among the Leaf community has descended upon the nascent Spark EV forum. Performance, value, driveability, battery, etc. - you figure it out. If Consumers Reports can, so can you.

And by the way, any EV sold in California is a compliance car. By repeatedly bringing up the compliance factor you are really trying to say - Watch out, people! Don't get too excited about this car! Despite what they say, GM has no intentions of expanding sales to other markets! GM cannot be trusted! Look what they did to the EV1!

I say, get over your anti-GM attitude.

TonyWilliams said:
Well, let's see in a few years about that boast. LEAF is at 70,000 sold, with 100,000 expected by year's end. Tesla Model S is a game changer... converted compliance car, eh, don't think so.

Leaf lovers never tell people that a large chunk of these numbers they like to spout about come out of the highly protected home market of Japan. They also fail to mention that even with the extra padding Japan sales add, the total falls way short of Nissan's highly publicized forecasts.

Tesla Model S is a definite game changer, but is out of reach for 99% of us. The Spark EV has the potential to be a game changer with the 99%ers. Its performance and affordability give it a shot to appeal to many buyers. We'll see.... :)

Blackmamba said:
Leaf lovers never tell people that a large chunk of these numbers they like to spout about come out of the highly protected home market of Japan. They also fail to mention that even with the extra padding Japan sales add, the total falls way short of Nissan's highly publicized forecasts.

Tesla Model S is a definite game changer, but is out of reach for 99% of us. The Spark EV has the potential to be a game changer with the 99%ers. Its performance and affordability give it a shot to appeal to many buyers. We'll see.... :)

You're pretty glib with that LEAF Lover BS. There are over 30,000 LEAFs in the not-home-market of the USA, Spark EV - 27 sold in June 2013. Also, unlike Spark EV, it is produced in the not-home-market of Smyrna, Tennessee. Spark EV is converted from an older oil burner platform built in South Korea.

I don't give a shit about how few cars GM may sell; I hope they sell a lot !!! But, the price isn't significantly cheaper than the base LEAF-S model.

My singular REAL issue is the Frankenplug BS. Personally, I think Frankenplug is DOA, and I hope it dies a quick, merciful death, before it's even born. Folks who buy a Spark expecting "20 minute" charges might be waiting a LOOOOOoooooooong time!!!

Hey, we agree on Tesla. In 3-4 years, we may have a Tesla for the 99%. They are planning on it, and I believe them. GM, eh, not so much.

Back