How is the difrosting handled

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmikmik

I know I am going to get a lot sympathy from the rest of the country, but...

My question is, how you defog (in my case) the windshield?
I doubt my car will be sitting outside as my current vehicle does. So on the foggy morning, it will probably start fogging up from the inside and precious watts are to be conserved, how do you do it, other than maybe opening the window a bit :?:

Thanks,

Five minutes of heat on the windshield won't make a lick of difference on overall range. If you are operating that close to the edge and won't make the trip due to de-fogging. The Spark EV is the wrong vehicle for the trip.
Try up here melting ice from the windshield .
Fogging on the inside glass is much reduced by keeping the glass spotlessly clean. As soon as somebody goobers the glass surface with their hand. The contaminated glass surface is where fog forms first and disappears the last.

We Oregonians know all about defogging windshields. :lol: We don't use the heater much, the heated seats keep us comfy most of the time. When the windshield starts to fog we just hit the defrost button and, perhaps turn the fan up a notch or two and hit the temp button if it's really stubborn, and it's cleared very quickly. Then we turn off the defrost or turn the temp off and set the fan to it's lowest setting. The effect on range is minimal.

Also, the Spark's windshield is set quite away from you. It doesn't fog up as easily as a lot of cars.

And Mr Buick is correct. If you're that close to the edge you might want to reconsider if the Spark is right for you.

Thank you both,

and no, I don't think I am that close to the edge or will be, but juice savings are savings, especially if you are in fact going into uncharted territory.
You can probably tell, I don't have the "range anxiety" at ALL :)
Probably the easiest for me would be presetting the heat/defrost while the battery is charging, then it should be easier to deal with any fog/moisture on the inside.

I just wish there was the way to have some kind of portable "range extender" pack, for the warm and fuzzy... I am sure, today it is possible but impractical, in a few years time should be doable.
I am actually considering buying a small trickle solar charger just for the 12V battery to keep it happy, but first I guess I need to buy/lease the car :oops:

Back