L drive mode regeneration too strong?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesamecrunch

Does anybody else feel like the L drive mode regeneration is too aggressive? It slows the car down so much that I rarely have occasion to use it.

There is a 900' hill on my commute that I drive everyday. Coming down the hill, on a sustained slope (2 miles) of about 6-7%, I still can't use L mode because it slows the car down to about 20 mph.

If L mode can't be engaged under those circumstances, when would one ever use it?

Use either the cruise control, or a steady foot on the accelerator. This should allow you to continue down the hill and still gain good regen, or you could do what I like to do keep it in D and once you get going to a decent speed drop it in L and then repeat.

On steep hills you might find that the L setting is enough of a hold-back, and as you have found it is a bit much for less steep hills. The technique I use is called "Feathering the Throttle" on an ICE car. Simply keep your foot on the go pedal enough to go down the hill at the desired speed. Easy.

Personally I found the regen in L a little weak.

Sesamecrunch said:
Does anybody else feel like the L drive mode regeneration is too aggressive? It slows the car down so much that I rarely have occasion to use it.

There is a 900' hill on my commute that I drive everyday. Coming down the hill, on a sustained slope (2 miles) of about 6-7%, I still can't use L mode because it slows the car down to about 20 mph.

If L mode can't be engaged under those circumstances, when would one ever use it?

We drive in L 100% of the time and learned to just back off the "go" peddle a bit to scrub some speed instead of using the brakes.

Back