Leaving Spark in garage for 3 months

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysp

I will be leaving my Spark EV in my garage for 3 months while I am out of the country. What will happen to my battery if left that long. I s there something I can do to protect it?

Which battery? :roll:

The big Li-ion battery does not have 'Self-Discharge'.
The Lead Acid battery under the hood does, and it's powering the Onstar cell phone and the key fob receiver constantly.

You could/should disconnect the Negative terminal from the under-hood battery. If you really are into it buy a small 'Battery Minder' to keep it topped up.
And, you should leave the Big Li-ion battery < 50% SOC. These batteries have better shelf life if not sitting around at 100% SOC.
And, if it is really hot or cold when you return, after reconnecting the L/A battery, plug the car in for a while before driving it to allow the battery's TMS to warm or cool the main battery as required.

Where you going? Hopefully to the tropics this time of year !! :p

Thank you for your reply. Yes, to the tropics, Central America in fact. I got a completely different answer from my Chevy dealer. They told me not to touch the 12-volt battery and to leave the car plugged in. I had an original Prius and always disconnected the battery if I was going to be gone any length of time. Anyone else want to weigh in?

I agree with NORTON, and the owner's manual says basically the same thing in the Vehicle Care section:

"Four Weeks to 12 Months
. Discharge the high voltage
battery until two or three bars
remain on the battery range
indicator (Battery symbol) on the
instrument cluster.
. Do not plug in the charge cord.
. Remove the black negative (−)
cable from the 12-volt battery
and attach a trickle charger to
the battery terminals or keep the
12-volt battery cables connected
and trickle charge from the
underhood remote positive (+)
and negative (−) terminals."

It's amazing what you can find if you RTFM!
I should do it someday.... :lol:

Let me guess, you spoke to a car salesman at the dealership !?!
You could go back and correct them, or not....

You know how to tell if a car salesman is lying?

Back