Mileage from charging

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncerna

What's the highest mileage that a Spark can get from a full charge?
When I charge the car, I think the most it showed was 89 miles.

ncerna said:

The full-charge mileage appearing on your display depends on a number of things - heavy foot, weather, air temperature, headwinds, road speed, AC, heater, etc. My data for my 2014 Spark EV shows the range runs between 73 miles in the winter and 110 miles in the summer; my 2015 spark EV runs between 75 miles in the winter and 104 miles in the summer. Others have posted higher and lower numbers.

Some guy did almost 140 miles. Theoretical limit is discussed in this blog post.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2016/03/range-polynomial.html

I typically see 100 to 110 miles on full charge, though it dropped to 90 in winter. Since I get about 5.3 mi/kWh on average over 20K miles and the battery now has about 17.75 kWh, it should be about 94 miles. It showed higher, because the times I charged to full may have been the times that I was driving in traffic.

In traffic, I get over 6 mi/kWh, so 17.75 kWh would result in 107 miles. One time in moderate traffic, I got 6.4 mi/kWh average over 80 miles, which would be 114 miles with 17.75 kWh.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2017/02/sparkev-is-most-efficient-car-in-world.html

Obviously, these figures are without AC, which I rarely use.

ncerna said:
Maybe your question is: What's the highest number on the display? (The Guess O Meter)

With 89 displayed the car has no way of knowing how you will use the full charge this day.

NORTON said:
ncerna said:
Maybe your question is: What's the highest number on the display? (The Guess O Meter)

With 89 displayed the car has no way of knowing how you will use the full charge this day.

Yes. I was wondering what is the highest number of miles it will show when you charge your car completely.(Guess-o-meter)

I got 117 once. Generally 105-110 (best #s, not all the time).

The 117 was during the summer, AFTER I had spent the previous 5-8 miles driven on an expressway at about 40 mph, hitting almost all green lights (it was at 1 in the a.m.). So no stop-and-go, low air resistance, warm (but not hot) temp on battery. I seem to recall that my m/kWh was around 6 on that previous drive (figure shown when you turn off the vehicle, before you open the driver's door).

But I rarely fill up 'all the way' (once or maybe twice a month). I rarely need a full battery for my regular use, and I have heard that 100% SoC is not good for L-Ion chem batteries, so I generally fill up to about 80-85% SoC. I do a full charge once a month or so, just to make sure that the batteries do their 'full charge' balancing. Or I'll do a full charge if I know I am going to drive a long way that day: charge up to 90% the day/night before, and then a full charge in the a.m. before leaving so that I am not sitting at 100% SoC for hours and hours. (It takes less than an hour's charge to bring the battery up to 100% from 90%).

ncerna said:
NORTON said:
ncerna said:

Yes. I was wondering what is the highest number of miles it will show when you charge your car completely.(Guess-O-Meter)

The number of miles showed by the Guess O Meter is based on your last few days of driving. Based on how many miles per kWh you got over the last few days, it will estimate how many miles you may get with the fully charged battery.

Assuming you have a battery with a usable capacity of 18kWh when fully charged, if you averaged 4.5 miles per kWh over the last 3/4 days, it would show 81 miles (4.5 x 18).
If You averaged 6.5 miles per kWh it would show 117 kWh (6.5 x 18).

So to know what is the Highest possible number you could ever see there, someone would have had to figure out what is the maximum miles per kWh achievable on the car (like driving at 20mph constant), then you multiply that by whatever is the current usable capacity of your battery.

The graph on the page linked in an earlier post seems to imply you could get as much as 7.2 miles / kWh.
If you would drive like that 4 days in a row, on a Spark EV with an 18kWh usable battery capacity, the Guess O Meter would show 130 miles of range (7.2 x 18).

Note: A New Spark EV Battery is believed to hold around 18.4kWh of usable capacity.
My 50k miles 2014 Spark is down to 16 kWh of usable capacity.

I do about 50/50 highway and city driving and get about 4.7mi/kWh

It's about 3.5mi/kWh on the freeway doing 73mph and around 6mi/kWh in the city. No heater, Occasional AC use and ambient temps 65-85F

My GoM is usually starting out 77-87mi

Back