Need Advice on Bosch Offer

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amecameca

I am a new Spark EV owner and I just got a call and an email from a guy at Bosch offering me the rebate on a Level 2 charging station. It sounds good, but I would like to get advice. I'm wondering what the difference is between the "free" 16 amp station and the 30 amp stations? What should I expect to pay for the installation? Can these stations be outside (like on the side of my house next to the driveway)? How well do these charging stations perform? I could probably live without it since I use my EV as a city car and don't have to charge that often. I live in Salem, Oregon, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

the info and prices are on the website. i just went ahead and order the basic 16a 12ft for free. note that it is on backorder already and eta for me is end of september. the 30a 18ft is more than enough for the spark ev, more for future proof and longer cord. im sure at some point you will speak to a rep and will answer all your questions too and will recommend a charger for you.

The install price will depend on your specific situation, for example, how full your power panel is, how far away from the panel the EVSE is, how much you have to pay for a permit, etc etc. Anywhere from $500 to $1800 is a possibility. Only an electrician can answer that for you.

Amecameca
I ordered the 30 amp L2 Bosch unit and got the instant rebate during purchase, it was an extra $150 or so for the balance plus shipping and handling. If you can afford to have it installed I highly recommend it. Chose the 30 amp version for a 6.6 KW charge rate car I will be buying in the future (16 amp Bosch unit is the 3.3 kw version, OK for current Spark EV) another option is to install a a L6-30 wall socket amp 240 volt wall plug and buy an open ESVE 30 amp combo unit (they have higher amp versions as well). Great device, the only "charger" you will ever need. It accepts any voltage input from 100 to 250 volts. That way with a few adapters you don't have to carry a 120 volt EVSE and a separate 240 volt EVSE around in the car. That really IMHO is the one best solution and its portable! Get the Standard kit "No Solder" version unless you are electronics soldering savvy the assembly is easy with YouTube videos See : http://store.openevse.com/products/openevse-30a-standard-charge-station-combo
A couple of adapters and I can charge almost anywhere! A future proof solution: install 30 or 50 amp wall socket in your house and buy a portable EVSE.
Spark-Cord-Adapt-1-sm.jpg

[/quote]
Amecameca said:
I am a new Spark EV owner and I just got a call and an email from a guy at Bosch offering me the rebate on a Level 2 charging station. It sounds good, but I would like to get advice. I'm wondering what the difference is between the "free" 16 amp station and the 30 amp stations? What should I expect to pay for the installation? Can these stations be outside (like on the side of my house next to the driveway)? How well do these charging stations perform? I could probably live without it since I use my EV as a city car and don't have to charge that often. I live in Salem, Oregon, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

stevon said:
A future proof solution: install 30 or 50 amp wall socket in your house and buy a portable EVSE.
I totally agree with future proofing your home IF you are paying to have a brand new 240V outlet installed.
It only costs a little more in materials for a higher rated outlet and wires.
But for the Spark EV a 16A EVSE is all that is ever needed and that can stay with the car if you make it a portable unit.

NORTON,
That is only true as long as EVSE purchased can do both 120 and 240 volt input like the juice box or openEVSE
NORTON said:
stevon said:
A future proof solution: install 30 or 50 amp wall socket in your house and buy a portable EVSE.
But for the Spark EV a 16A EVSE is all that is ever needed and that can stay with the car if you make it a portable unit.

With the discount you just can't beat the deal from Bosch.

I've had the Bosch 30A unit for 17 months now and have had no problems with it. I spent about $150 for the 30 amp unit instead of the 15 amp for three reasons: longer cord, more future proof, and should have more robust components to allow it to handle the heavier load.

Note that Bosch OEM's this from Delta.

Installation is not bad, but If you're the least bit uncomfortable around 240 I'd say to hire a local electrician. Bosch's referred installers are notorious for high balling the price.

emv,
Totally agree and purchased the Bosch 30A unit for the same reasons, also there's no back order on the 30 amp model.
emv said:
With the discount you just can't beat the deal from Bosch.

I've had the Bosch 30A unit for 17 months now and have had no problems with it. I spent about $150 for the 30 amp unit instead of the 15 amp for three reasons: longer cord, more future proof, and should have more robust components to allow it to handle the heavier load.

Note that Bosch OEM's this from Delta.

Installation is not bad, but If you're the least bit uncomfortable around 240 I'd say to hire a local electrician. Bosch's referred installers are notorious for high balling the price.

Back