New Owner in Connecticut

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCIE

Hey guys, I've been reading posts here for a while, but just pulled the trigger on a 2015 2LT with DCFC. It was a leftover at a dealer down in Maryland. They "sold" the car to themselves and then resold it as used to get around GM's rule against out-of-state sales.

I drove the car from Maryland to Connecticut yesterday. Definitely had some range anxiety when I began since the temperature was 45F outside and I wasn't exactly sure how far the charge would get me. Ended up making 3 DCFC stops to go about 210 miles. Probably could have done it with two stops, but I was playing it safe.

The car has been a blast to drive so far! I knew it would be, but that instant power has been putting a smile on my face.

I haven't seen many other people in the Northeast posting, so I'll try to keep everyone posted on how the car does when it gets very cold. I'm hoping my 60 mile round trip commute won't be an issue. I realize I'll have to be sparing with heat. Worst case, I'll drive my Volt when it's single digits outside.

Congrats!

Especially on being able to drive home that distance !

Welcome to the future of a small BEV !

NORTON said:
Congrats!

I often wonder if Chevrolet made a mistake by discontinuing the Spark EV. InsideEV's sales data shows a grand total of ONLY 7192 Spark EVs being sold in the USA from 2013 through Oct 2016. Most of those are running around in California. This is one great little car and it seems to be loved by everyone who drives it. Like anything new, once you learn how to operate the car in various environmental conditions, you learn its limits and range anxiety disappears. You just get to have fun driving while passing by all of those gasoline stations.

NORTON said:
Congrats!

Thanks! A lot of people, including the dealer, were surprised I would drive it that far. Lots of jokes about dragging an extension cord, or peddling with my feet like Fred Flintstone. But, DCFC makes it a different world. Hopefully it continues to expand and in 10 years I won't have to worry about where I'll quick-charge next.

It is a shame GM made so few Spark EVs and limited sale locations. I've heard they lost money on each unit, though that may be due to not scaling up production to spread the dev costs. In any case, we'll soon see the Spark's big brother zooming around. Hopefully it's a good car too.

Congratulations on the purchase and the journey. I too live in CT and also just bought a 2015 2LT Spark EV with DCFC online from a dealership in Texas (not sure why they had one) its a 'new' <100 miles on the odometer never before registered car. They are shipping it to me it should arrive by the end of this week :). I wonder how many Spark EVs there are in CT?

CCIE said:
Hey guys, I've been reading posts here for a while, but just pulled the trigger on a 2015 2LT with DCFC. It was a leftover at a dealer down in Maryland. They "sold" the car to themselves and then resold it as used to get around GM's rule against out-of-state sales.

I drove the car from Maryland to Connecticut yesterday. Definitely had some range anxiety when I began since the temperature was 45F outside and I wasn't exactly sure how far the charge would get me. Ended up making 3 DCFC stops to go about 210 miles. Probably could have done it with two stops, but I was playing it safe.

The car has been a blast to drive so far! I knew it would be, but that instant power has been putting a smile on my face.

I haven't seen many other people in the Northeast posting, so I'll try to keep everyone posted on how the car does when it gets very cold. I'm hoping my 60 mile round trip commute won't be an issue. I realize I'll have to be sparing with heat. Worst case, I'll drive my Volt when it's single digits outside.

Wow, that's a big coincidence! I've never seen another one anywhere around here. Can't be many in the whole northeast. I haven't had any buyer's remorse yet. Hope you enjoy yours too.

Don't know where you live/work, but there is a free 24kw CCS charger in Darien. Plugshare also shows a free one up near Hartford. Most of the other EVGO & Chargepoint CCS units in the state seem to be priced crazy high. But, nice to have the option to use one if you need it.

I live in Hamden, spent last weekend wiring a 240 v line to the garage. I think most of my charging will be done at home (only have a 25 mile round trip commute (into New Haven). Thanks for the charger tips, occasionally I drive down towards NYC (my other car is a hybrid Altima).

CCIE said:
Wow, that's a big coincidence! I've never seen another one anywhere around here. Can't be many in the whole northeast. I haven't had any buyer's remorse yet. Hope you enjoy yours too.

Don't know where you live/work, but there is a free 24kw CCS charger in Darien. Plugshare also shows a free one up near Hartford. Most of the other EVGO & Chargepoint CCS units in the state seem to be priced crazy high. But, nice to have the option to use one if you need it.

PhilPen said:
I live in Hamden, spent last weekend wiring a 240 v line to the garage. I think most of my charging will be done at home (only have a 25 mile round trip commute (into New Haven). Thanks for the charger tips, occasionally I drive down towards NYC (my other car is a hybrid Altima).

I already have a 240 EVSE for my Volt, but I'll probably get a second one for the Spark. Called today to try to get the free Bosch unit that is offered for new Sparks, but they said it's only for residents of CA, OR, and MD. GM really went out of their way to try to keep this car in those states. When GM says Tesla's direct model is bad for consumers because a dealership model means we have choices of who to buy from, I just think of their Spark sales policy. GM dictated that to their dealers even though they're supposed to be independent. So hypocritical to say Tesla's model gives consumers less choice after doing that.

Anyway, I'll probably get a Clipper Creek EVSE since they seem to be rated the best. My existing one is the original Voltec 240 unit, which amazingly still works (they have a horrible track record).

If you haven't checked out PlugShare, you should. Lots of free Level-2 EVSEs listed around CT. Might even be one near where you work. Also worth getting ChargePoint and EVGO access cards. I think they both charge around $5 to send the card. EVGO's pricing is centralized, and fairly expensive. ChargePoint pricing is set by the property owner and ranges from free to completely ridiculous.

Congrats. Did you get your Spark from Criswell Chevy by any chance? I think they still have 8 or so new Spark EVs left.

I ordered a 240 v 16 amp Duosida portable EV charger from Amazon it was under $300 with expedited shipping. I got the one with a 10-30 240 v dryer plug. I'll make a few adapters so it'll work with other 240 v style sockets and the standard 120v sockets.
I checked out PlugShare, it looks good I'll probably sign up this evening. There's a DCFC that is positioned about 12 miles from my home and 3 miles from my place of work.
BTW I initially also tried to get a Spark EV from MD and called 3 dealers but they didn't want to cross GM and sell to an out of stater.

CCIE said:
PhilPen said:

I already have a 240 EVSE for my Volt, but I'll probably get a second one for the Spark. Called today to try to get the free Bosch unit that is offered for new Sparks, but they said it's only for residents of CA, OR, and MD. GM really went out of their way to try to keep this car in those states. When GM says Tesla's direct model is bad for consumers because a dealership model means we have choices of who to buy from, I just think of their Spark sales policy. GM dictated that to their dealers even though they're supposed to be independent. So hypocritical to say Tesla's model gives consumers less choice after doing that.

Anyway, I'll probably get a Clipper Creek EVSE since they seem to be rated the best. My existing one is the original Voltec 240 unit, which amazingly still works (they have a horrible track record).

If you haven't checked out PlugShare, you should. Lots of free Level-2 EVSEs listed around CT. Might even be one near where you work. Also worth getting ChargePoint and EVGO access cards. I think they both charge around $5 to send the card. EVGO's pricing is centralized, and fairly expensive. ChargePoint pricing is set by the property owner and ranges from free to completely ridiculous.

CCIE said:
I've heard they lost money on each unit, though that may be due to not scaling up production to spread the dev costs.
We know Fiat was losing $13K/car back in 2013 and that's with 24 kWh battery and entirely new electric drive train made by third party (Bosche). Back then, battery was probably $500/kWh (or more!), so 5.5 kW smaller SparkEV battery would've been about $3K less.

Many/most of SparkEV's electric bits came from Volt, so there's not much development there. Body is pretty much SparkGas. Considering "not much different" from existing cars, there'd be very little in terms of additional cost. If Chevy was losing money in 2013, they're probably not losing money in 2015 and profitable in 2016. This is probably why they were able to lower the price in Apr. 2015, which made a buzz in popular media and caused me to take one.

One big reason to limit SparkEV would be EV tax credit. When $7.5K EV tax credit goes to $25K car vs $37.5K car, it's a no brainer; save it for higher priced car. Had they released SparkEV nationwide and showed that it's the quickest 0-60 car in the world under $20K, it would've sold like hotcakes and eat up all EV tax credit in very short time.

bro1999 said:
Congrats. Did you get your Spark from Criswell Chevy by any chance? I think they still have 8 or so new Spark EVs left.

No, I tried to deal with them but they were sticklers for GM's rules. They'll be sitting on those cars for a while unless they drop their prices enough to entice local buyers. Ended up buying from Williams. They "sold" the car to themselves and then re-sold it to me. Expensive proposition for them since it meant they had to pay MD sales tax. But, I guess they were desperate to get rid of the car.

PhilPen said:
I ordered a 240 v 16 amp Duosida portable EV charger from Amazon it was under $300 with expedited shipping. I got the one with a 10-30 240 v dryer plug. I'll make a few adapters so it'll work with other 240 v style sockets and the standard 120v sockets.
I checked out PlugShare, it looks good I'll probably sign up this evening. There's a DCFC that is positioned about 12 miles from my home and 3 miles from my place of work.

PLEASE come back and post your impressions of the Duosida - I've been considering buying one. Thx!

Will do, currently I have the 'charger'/EVSE hooked up in the garage but my Spark EV hasn't arrived yet, its still on a car carrier heading up to CT from TX. After I've used it a few times I'll let the forum know how it performs.

SparkE said:
PLEASE come back and post your impressions of the Duosida - I've been considering buying one. Thx!

CCIE said:
...Anyway, I'll probably get a Clipper Creek EVSE since they seem to be rated the best. My existing one is the original Voltec 240 unit, which amazingly still works (they have a horrible track record).

BTW You may be able to get a tax rebate on the 'charger'/EVSE http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/air/electric_vehicle/evse_fact_sheet.pdf

PhilPen said:
CCIE said:
...Anyway, I'll probably get a Clipper Creek EVSE since they seem to be rated the best. My existing one is the original Voltec 240 unit, which amazingly still works (they have a horrible track record).

BTW You may be able to get a tax rebate on the 'charger'/EVSE http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/air/electric_vehicle/evse_fact_sheet.pdf

Thanks. I recall taking a tax deduction on my first EVSE for federal taxes. Didn't realize there was a state one too.

Get your Spark yet?

PhilPen said:
Just parked it in the garage now I have learn all the knobs and buttons :)
Welcome to Small Sporty EV ownership!!

Just Drive it. (Who reads the manual???)
They made the climate controls normal, unlike the 1st Gen Volts.
Power it up, put it in Drive, release the Park Brake and ---- PUNCH IT !!!!

Sport mode does not add power, just 'pedal mapping'. TC and SC 'OFF' comes back on automatically at a certain speed.
Glove box on the right. What more do you need to know???? ;)

EV's don't need any sort of 'warmup' or 'break-in' like old fashioned gassers.
Short cold cycles have no effect on an EV.

(I'm in the process of trying to wear out the front tires!! FUN !!
This sporty little car has so much Traction Control and Stability Control it's hard to get 'out of sorts' with it.
The front tires are seriously near the end of life. I thought they'd have better dry traction but, if anything they slip even easier. Maybe it's the cold asphalt.
I plan on putting the stock 195's on the front for winter. (I swapped out the stock tires at ~3500 miles.)
The trick is to get to the tire store a few days before the snow forecast to avoid the crowds doing the exact same thing.....
I managed to get ~23k miles/18 months out of some Kuhmo, non-LRR, performance tires in stock sizes. The rears are fine, of course.)

Back