Newbie questions: Outside temperature/AC & Time to charge

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindsayNB

Yesterday when I was driving the outside temperature was displayed next to the time in the upper right corner of the infotainment display and the air conditioning produced fairly cold air when I turned the temperature down. Today the outside temperature isn't displayed and it seems to me that the air coming from the vents is fan-only, despite the Temp button being engaged. Also, yesterday the energy details screen showed climate control energy being used, today it only shows driving. If I hit Auto it turns the fan on high but doesn't seem to cool the air no matter how low I set the temperature. Is there some setting that turns off the temperature sensor? If not, has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Yesterday when I plugged in the 240V EVSE the dash displayed the expected time to complete charging, today it just shows dashes. Has anyone experienced that? It is charging, just not saying when it will be done.

While I'm at it, if I turn the vehicle on while it is charging at 240V it shows 2kW on the right side of the display. I would expect it to show 3kW. I don't remember what it showed yesterday. What does it show on your vehicle while plugged in to a 240V EVSE?

Thanks!

I had the exact same thing happen to me:

- no outside temp display
- climate control would not cool
- no estimate of charging time

It did that for a day or so and I called to make a service appointment, but the next day it was back to normal. It's been a couple months now and it hasn't happened again yet.

I have had an issue with the charging time not displaying correct info. I unhooked the 12v battery (just unscrew the negative and leave it off for a few minutes) and it stopped glitching.

Interesting, the temperature is displaying again this morning! I'll see about the AC and charging after I find some excuse for going for a drive!

Oberon said:
I had the exact same thing happen to me:

- no outside temp display
- climate control would not cool
- no estimate of charging time

It did that for a day or so and I called to make a service appointment, but the next day it was back to normal. It's been a couple months now and it hasn't happened again yet.

It is normal for it to only show 2kW power while charging level two when the vehicle is on. Today while charging at a Semacharge station which shows how much wattage was being used, it showed that it was consuming exactly 3300W. Likely while the car is running, other systems are engaged which brings down the amount of power supplied to the batteries for charging purposes. Also if the charger is rated at pulling 3.3kW, some of that energy might not perfectly be transferred into the pack.

I had what sounds like the same problem. One hot day in June the climate control only seemed to be working the fan; the next cooler day, I had AC. I took it to the service department of the local Chevy dealer. They said it was a software problem for which an update was available. They updated it free of charge, and I've had no problems since.

THis morning we had a power outage while ... when i got into the car it had a message of a power interruption while charging...thought nothing of it started down the road, then noticed the a/c was not cooling down and the outside temp was not showing...

When i got home disconnected the 12V battery for a minute or so, hooked it back up and everything works fine now...kinda odd

gss2000 said:
THis morning we had a power outage while ... when i got into the car it had a message of a power interruption while charging...thought nothing of it started down the road, then noticed the a/c was not cooling down and the outside temp was not showing...

When i got home disconnected the 12V battery for a minute or so, hooked it back up and everything works fine now...kinda odd

It seems a hard reboot will often fix any number of random electronic glitches in this car. These cars need a method to do that, maybe something like pressing the On/Off button for 5 seconds.

...and a Volt, too. My Volt had a problem a year ago (it would NOT shut down -- was stuck trying to initialize), and disconnecting the 12-volt battery corrected the trouble. (Chevy dealer did a software upgrade, and I've never seen that trouble again.)

I've not tried or needed to disconnect the Spark's 12-volt battery. The Volt's is a pain, as the connector is actually a metal L-shaped blade. Is the Spark's any easier?

SteveC5088 said:
I've not tried or needed to disconnect the Spark's 12-volt battery. The Volt's is a pain, as the connector is actually a metal L-shaped blade. Is the Spark's any easier?

Takes a 10mm wrench and about 5 seconds once the hood is popped. About as easy as it gets!

Bryce

Nashco said:
SteveC5088 said:

Takes a 10mm wrench and about 5 seconds once the hood is popped. About as easy as it gets!

Bryce
As long as you take one of the battery clamps off, may as well take of the second one and instal those little felt rings on the terminals. This is handy, especially if you own the car and plan keeping it for a long term.

Probly better to just put the connectors back on and then cover with grease/vaseline/dielectric stuff...what ever you call it.

I wonder if Chevy knows about this issue and if they have a upgrade for it in the new 2015's

I actually registered just to respond to this topic.

My Spark has been doing this now more frequently (getting hot in SoCal as most of you know) I've noticed all the following things:
- Outside ambient temp is not displayed at all on the radio
- AC either comes on when I want it off, or doesn't come on when I want it on. (also turning the temp knob doesn't change anything on the radio, it always is at 61 degrees when this is happening)
- The charge time is not displayed

I made an appointment with my dealer however they are backed up 3 weeks due to all the recalls... bummer.

nickl630 said:
I actually registered just to respond to this topic.

I made an appointment with my dealer however they are backed up 3 weeks due to all the recalls... bummer.

Recalls on the Spark EV ?

Just making sure that I didn't miss anything.

Maybe you should try and do the Disconnect of the battery and see if that helps.
Would make the 3 week wait be null if it works :)

It's really intermittent. Maybe 3 times in the past 5 weeks but of course its not fun driving with no AC when its 100 outside! And you cant tell its going to happen until it actually does happen. I will give that a shot regardless!

Back