NRG EvGo SAE Combo chargers DO NOT WORK!

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I hear, NRG has some serious internal issues and problems going on right now. They are putting on a good game face but have some real manpower and leadership problems.

Not that has anything to do with the functionality of the chargers but it could....the lack of maintenance, etc etc etc.

I had the fix done by the dealer couple of weeks ago, and it makes a HUGE difference. Now, most eVgo DCFC work on first try, and never errors out. Before, even when the weather wasn't warm, it'd take several attempts and errors in the middle.

I took my laptop and printout of service bulletin and photos of expected connector vs SparkEV connector to dealer to show them what needed to be done and why. Front desk was reluctant, but I persisted and they did the work. They gave me BS about taking all day since it's intermittent problem, blah blah, then tell me that it may not solve the problem. It took 3 hours, but they did the work. I don't know how it'll affect your warranty if you do it yourself, so it's probably best to have the dealer do the work. Make sure to mention PI1382.

http://sparkev.blogspot.com/2015/09/solution-problem-with-dc-fast-charge.html

tonybrasunas said:
So are dealerships making this fix or not? Anyone have stories about this. We have had this issue with our 2015 Spark EV, where at NRG EVGO level 3 chargers often it won't charge at all, or struggles to connect many times.

It's an inconvenience for sure, and I will consider making the mod myself. But of course I'd rather have the dealership do it if they are willing and able.

I had the isolation error now pop up at my favorite NRG eVgo DCFC where I have had no previous problems. What I noticed was there was not a sharp CLICK sound when I inserted the plug into the socket on the car. I removed the plug and reinserted it more quickly and a bit more forcefully and CLICK! I restarted the charger and the charging session went with any further problems. It looks like there is a rubber o-ring seal inside the plug and it needs to go over the socket to create a seal. Perhaps this o-ring starts wearing with use or expands with increased temperature and it becomes more difficult to insert the plug into socket on the car. Regardless, the CLICK is an indication that tells the driver that the connection to the car is correct. I thought of using a high voltage silicone lubricant to put a thin film of lubricant onto the outer surface of the socket to allow the seal in the plug to slip more easily into the socket.

Follow up: I went to the auto parts store and purchased a tube of spark plug boot grease. It is for high voltage and is pure silicone. I put a VERY SMALL dab of the grease onto the tip of a Q-Tip, worked it evenly into the cotton and then applied a VERY THIN FILM around the big socket component over which the seal has to slide. I only went to a depth of about the length of the cotton. Then I drove to the same NRG eVgo DCFC to try it out. The connection was MUCH easier to make - worked the first try - and the CLICK was quite obvious. The charging session was completed without any problems and I did visually re-verify that there is a seal inside of the plug.

I would appreciate knowing if anyone else has similar connection problems and tries this fix. Please let me know if it works for you too. I plan to carry Q-Tips and the lubricant in the car as a precaution. Once in a while it will be necessary to use a dry Q-Tip to clean dust from the lubricated section of the socket and then reapply the lubricant. I will be testing this "fix" at the other NRG eVgo DCFC stations where I have also had problems connecting.

NOTE: You should only do this if you have difficulty making the connection and do not hear the CLICK.

Back