Preconditioning energy usage reporting

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORTON

Today it was plugged in all day on L1 @ 12A. I did a precondition before leaving work. When I got to the car the preconditioning event was done and the dash light was solid green.
When I powered up I pressed the Leaf button and saw 4% for 'Battery Conditioning' and 0% for 'Climate Setting'. I should have taken a pic then because I didn't look at the 'Energy Used'.
It was cold and time to go!!

This is what I saw at the end of my commute:

What is going on? I thought when plugged in TMS was using power as needed for 'Battery Conditioning'. The battery shouldn't need any TMS.
I know the cabin heat can pull 6 kW. I was plugged into 1.2 kW of wall power. So it dipped into the battery for the Precondition, yet that didn't get reported as Climate Settings.
So the car was recharging the battery after the preconditioning, (the solid green light), but why was there only Battery Conditioning being reported on the Leaf page?
And was some of this total of 10kWh being reported as part of the whole Preconditioning event? Now I'm confused...

I saw Battery Conditioning reported last winter once, and it was when I was plugged in to L2. As in your case, the Battery Conditioning showed up in the daily energy usage report.

So, this morning after being plugged in L2 at home, I did an app 'Precondition' before heading to the showers.
I saw that it was doing it by the park lights.
When I got out to the car the park lights were out and the dash charge-light was blinking, meaning the battery was topped up after the precondition event.
And the Leaf page showed all 0%'s.

So MAYBE, this car reports Preconditioning that is not replenished before departure as 'Battery Conditioning' even though the power usage was really going to 'Climate Settings'.
That's my best guess.

I wonder how a Precondition would be reported when done not plugged in? I'll test this soon.

NORTON said:
So, this morning after being plugged in L2 at home, I did an app 'Precondition' before heading to the showers.
I saw that it was doing it by the park lights.
When I got out to the car the park lights were out and the dash charge-light was blinking, meaning the battery was topped up after the precondition event.
And the Leaf page showed all 0%'s.

So MAYBE, this car reports Preconditioning that is not replenished before departure as 'Battery Conditioning' even though the power usage was really going to 'Climate Settings'.
That's my best guess.

I wonder how a Precondition would be reported when done not plugged in? I'll test this soon.

The numbers are shown from last full charge. So, the car reset the values when it reached full charge. The previous time it had not reached full charge, so it didn't reset the numbers. It would look something like this:

1. You arrive home at night, plug in, charge completes sometime overnight -> Previous day's charge stats reset at this point.
2. You execute remote-start and the car begins pulling power from the battery & EVSE to condition interior.
3. Remote start completes. Power from EVSE used to charge battery.
4a. You disconnect EVSE prior to battery charge completing -> Charge stats from precondition shown.
OR
4b. You disconnect EVSE after battery charge complete -> Charge stats have been reset and all say 0.

CCIE said:
The numbers are shown from last full charge. So, the car reset the values when it reached full charge. The previous time it had not reached full charge, so it didn't reset the numbers. It would look something like this:

1. You arrive home at night, plug in, charge completes sometime overnight -> Previous day's charge stats reset at this point.
2. You execute remote-start and the car begins pulling power from the battery & EVSE to condition interior.
4a. You disconnect EVSE prior to battery charge completing -> Charge stats from precondition shown.
OR
4b. You disconnect EVSE after battery charge complete -> Charge stats have been reset and all say 0.
I think I understand all that,
only 4a. - the 4% usage was on the 'Battery Conditioning' line and not on the 'Climate Settings' line.
The battery should have been at a happy temp from being plugged in all day, correct.
I believe all the usage should have been on the 'Climate Settings' line from the 'Cabin Preconditioning'.

NORTON said:
CCIE said:

OR
I think I understand all that,
only 4a. - the 4% usage was on the 'Battery Conditioning' line and not on the 'Climate Settings' line.
The battery should have been at a happy temp from being plugged in all day, correct.
I believe all the usage should have been on the 'Climate Settings' line from the 'Cabin Preconditioning'.

Some of this is conjecture based on the last 5 years with my Volt (which seems to behave very much like the Spark EV).

I know the Spark manual says to keep the car plugged-in when it's below 32F. That seems to imply it will draw power from the EVSE to keep the battery happy. But, I don't think it actually does that unless the battery gets very very cold. And even then it only warms it a minimal amount. Unlike Tesla, GM makes their EVs very efficient. No vampire drains or pulling EVSE power unless it's absolutely necessary.

However, during a remote-start the car is smart enough to know you'll be leaving soon and it should get the battery as close to optimal temp as possible while EVSE power is available. I think that's why you see so much battery conditioning usage.

CCIE said:
Some of this is conjecture based on the last 5 years with my Volt (which seems to behave very much like the Spark EV). .....However, during a remote-start the car is smart enough to know you'll be leaving soon and it should get the battery as close to optimal temp as possible while EVSE power is available. I think that's why you see so much battery conditioning usage.
I had a Volt for a year and a half and it didn't have the 'Battery Conditioning' line of data on it's usage page.
Still, the Spark showed 4% for Battery and 0% for Climate.
That is wrong simply because the cabin was nice and warm, or at least warmer than winter outside.

Have I mentioned I hate winter more each year???? :evil:

Who knows,, as you said, it's all conjecture with us EV nerds... :)

Some gadawful winter weekend when I am hibernating at home, I could run out and look the the kWh display on my EVSE after the car battery is topped up and check it 2 days later when I leave for work on Monday, just to see how much was used maintaining TMS. But before doing a Cabin Precondition, because it's gaddamm winter.... :(

NORTON said:
CCIE said:
Some of this is conjecture based on the last 5 years with my Volt (which seems to behave very much like the Spark EV). .....However, during a remote-start the car is smart enough to know you'll be leaving soon and it should get the battery as close to optimal temp as possible while EVSE power is available. I think that's why you see so much battery conditioning usage.
I had a Volt for a year and a half and it didn't have the 'Battery Conditioning' line of data on it's usage page.
Still, the Spark showed 4% for Battery and 0% for Climate.
That is wrong simply because the cabin was nice and warm, or at least warmer than winter outside.

Have I mentioned I hate winter more each year???? :evil:

Who know,, as you said, it's all conjecture with us EV nerds... :)

Some gadawful winter weekend when I am hibernating at home, I could run out and look the the kWh display on my EVSE after the car battery is topped up and check it 2 days later when I leave for work on Monday, just to see how much was used maintaining TMS. But before doing a Cabin Precondition, because it's gaddamm winter.... :(

That is odd that it shows 0% for Climate. I'm not sure.

Back