Scraping / squealing sound

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porsche

Coming up on almost three years now, and my first real problem. My 2015 Spark EV LT2 with around 52k miles now makes this metallic scraping sound. It's worse at very slow speeds. You don't hear it at normal driving speeds; it might be being masked by road noise, but it seems to actually be louder when driving slowly. The frequency / pitch of the sound does not change with driving speed. The same thing happens when driving in reverse, but instead of a scraping sound, it's a high-pitched squeak or squeal. Again, the frequency / pitch of the sound does not change with driving speed.

Anyone have any guesses as to what the problem might be? My first guess might be a frozen caliper on the friction brakes, or some other brake related problem. The car doesn't pull to one side when driving or braking. It's possible my efficiency is reduced, but it's cold and wintry, so it's hard to be sure.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The brakes are were my first thought too. Could be the parking brake isn't fully releasing? Could be a massive amount of rust build up on the disc. I have read like every week or two when coming to a stop you should but the EV in neutral and brake with only the mechanical brakes. This will rub off any rust that has built up. Could also be one of your brake pads wearing out prematurely or a rock has bent one of the metal tabs on one pad. See brake pads have these metal tabs made to rub against the disc and cause them to squeak before the pad is completely worn out. Speaking of rocks a rock could have logged in between the pad and disc. Try costing in neutral and see if the scraping sound changes or if it changes as you slow down or when braking in neutral.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did consider the emergency brake, but to be honest, I never put it on, so I figured it's less likely to be the issue. Also, I'm curious. I checked at Tire Rack, and the friction brake parts seem to be the same as the ICE Spark. Is that really the case? Sometimes websites just lump the ICE and the EVs together incorrectly. By the way, anyone have any recommendations for brake pads, rotors, etc.?

Turns out it's a frozen caliper slide pin. Now I need rear brakes and rotors too:(

Last edited:
Back