DC Fast Charging avalibility?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecilopaveht

When will this become an option to order on the Vehicle? I can't get an answer from the local dealer. Does anyone know a date? I have heard everywhere from "You can order it now" to "Not till qtr 1 of next year".

ecilopaveht said:
When will this become an option to order on the Vehicle? I can't get an answer from the local dealer. Does anyone know a date? I have heard everywhere from "You can order it now" to "Not till qtr 1 of next year".
I contacted Chevrolet regarding this very issue last month and I received the following response:

"Lastly there is the SAE Fast Charge option. The Chevrolet.com website indicates that the SAE out-of-home charger is for late availability. This option needs to be selected when first ordering your Spark EV. A Spark EV cannot be retrofitted with this option after it has been manufactured. Spark EVs with the DC Fast charge option will be available in late November 2013 for ordering."

Copying someone else's post over from MNL today:

-------------------------------------------------------------
"For those that might be following (or stumble into) this thread looking for information on the Spark EV DC fast charge info, it can now be ordered at your Chevy dealer. The specific option codes are published here:

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en ... .tab3.html

"The DC fast charge option can be ordered with RPO code CBT, which also includes code STO for the "remote stop" FOB. It is a $750 option that can be ordered independent of other options.

"I put my order in for a white, 2LT, DC fast charge model last weekend. It could not come soon enough, but supposedly it will be November or December before the cars with DC fast charge start hitting dealer floors. Meanwhile, I've got a Think City to sell!"
--------------------------------------------------------------

So my next question is, With the DC fast Charge option, do you get a 6.6kw charger? I have heard that this may be part of the DC fast charging option, but I am not holding my breath.

ecilopaveht said:
So my next question is, With the DC fast Charge option, do you get a 6.6kw charger? I have heard that this may be part of the DC fast charging option, but I am not holding my breath.
No, you don't (and it really could use one). This is #1 on my list of needed options.

gra said:
ecilopaveht said:
No, you don't (and it really could use one). This is #1 on my list of needed options.

Me too. I'm going to see about hacking the 3.3 one after checking with Chevy if there are any battery thermal issues to worry about. Though I have to think there won't be if the car is equipped for fast charging since that will heat up the batteries way faster than what a 6.6kW charger would.

Pegasus said:
gra said:
ecilopaveht said:

Me too. I'm going to see about hacking the 3.3 one after checking with Chevy if there are any battery thermal issues to worry about. Though I have to think there won't be if the car is equipped for fast charging since that will heat up the batteries way faster than what a 6.6kW charger would.

You're not going to "hack" the current 3.3kW charger to make 6.6kW. What is popular on the LEAF is to add a fully CAN bus compatible Brusa 16 amp charger. About $2200 for air cooled, or $2600 of liquid cooled (recommended).

I'm in the planning stages of adding two of these to my Rav4 EV that has no quick charge capability. That will give me 9.6kW currently onboard (40 amp Tesla charger) and 7.2kW (32 amp Brusa).

Next phase is a CHAdeMO DC port, but that needs more research.

Okay so when people on here talk about an 80% charge in 20 minutes, it something that they cannot do right now because that option isn't even available on current Spark EV's, right?

USSValor said:
Okay so when people on here talk about an 80% charge in 20 minutes, it something that they cannot do right now because that option isn't even available on current Spark EV's, right?
Right.

:lol: The DC Fast Charge is available as an option on the Spark EV as of 9/23/13. The only thing that awaits is the infrastructure needed to support the SAE DC Charge option available on the Spark EV which is expected to be coming soon.
In my opinion it is wise to purchase the option (besides the car) and wait for the infrastructure to develop.

As per internet research: There are ongoing efforts between manufacturers to employ DC HV Fast Charge Station technology. We should realize that this advancement is underway to support the SAE connectors and Spark EV. ;)

Sparky said:
:lol: The DC Fast Charge is available as an option on the Spark EV as of 9/23/13. The only thing that awaits is the infrastructure needed to support the SAE DC Charge option available on the Spark EV which is expected to be coming soon.
In my opinion it is wise to purchase the option (besides the car) and wait for the infrastructure to develop.

As per internet research: There are ongoing efforts between manufacturers to employ DC HV Fast Charge Station technology. We should realize that this advancement is underway to support the SAE connectors and Spark EV. ;)

If you plan on keeping the car, yes this would be a good option. If you are leasing this is something you might be able to skip. It will take a few years for the infrastructure to be put in place. Once your lease is up and infrastructure is in place just make it an option on your next lease. Save your self several hundred dollars for an option that will be hard to use over the next few years.

ecilopaveht said:
If you plan on keeping the car, yes this would be a good option. If you are leasing this is something you might be able to skip. It will take a few years for the infrastructure to be put in place. Once your lease is up and infrastructure is in place just make it an option on your next lease. Save your self several hundred dollars for an option that will be hard to use over the next few years.

If you purchase, it would increase the resale value to have that option once the infrastructure is in place, no?.

So I had a great surprise yesterday.

I didn't need a charge, so I parked on the other side of our building away from the four Blink chargers. On the way back to the car I saw that new chargers were going in on that side. One was easy to identify as a Nissan Chademo quick-charger and Tony Williams just informed me the second is a SAE Combo quick-charger...all installed, just waiting for whatever approvals are needed.

I'm excited because I remember how slow the Chademo rollout was for the leafs.

Sparkler said:
ecilopaveht said:

If you purchase, it would increase the resale value to have that option once the infrastructure is in place, no?.

Yes, It would. Like I said it would be good to have as an option if you plan on purchasing the car.

So I had a great surprise yesterday.

I didn't need a charge, so I parked on the other side of our building away from the four Blink chargers. On the way back to the car I saw that new chargers were going in on that side. One was easy to identify as a Nissan Chademo quick-charger and Tony Williams just informed me the second is a SAE Combo quick-charger...all installed, just waiting for whatever approvals are needed.

I'm excited because I remember how slow the Chademo rollout was for the leafs.

Where is this located?

Back