Back up camera?

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we could get a VIN for a Korean Spark EV, I think this would be pretty simple. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one yet. Anybody have a friend (military?) in Korea? I only know two guys there, and neither have found a dealer with a Spark EV (not sure if it's because they don't exist or my acquaintences haven't actually tried).

Bryce

I'll be going to a "new spark ev" orientation tonight at dealership. I'll see if I can get some info on Camera and/or Korean VIN. (I'm still in touch with sales rep.)

Anyone having any luck with a back up camera?

I just got my 2014 Spark EV. I'm loving it! But I really like having a back up camera.

Cheers!

Nashco said:
The service manual shows that pins 7 and 8 on the radio connector are inputs for the camera. This harness routes to a 6 pin connector that resides next to the 10 pin connector between the body harness and hatch back harness.

I'd be very surprised if it weren't possible to enable this with head unit firmware. You might have to tune my radio in Korean, though. :) :)

These cameras are dirt cheap. For the life of me, I can't think why they didn't include it.

The fog lights too. Deer and critters can be seen sooner before they jump up out of the ditches when the frog lights are on. Then again it's a compliance car and nothing else. No surprise on the cut corners. I suppose fog lights cut a mile or two off the range. Then again the LED's are low current draw.

Finding a Korean VIN has been much more difficult than I expected! Apparently some have sold, but they use a lottery system for the sale of vehicles as far as I can tell. Not sure if the lottery is on the public side or private side in this case. It seems there are 105 Spark EVs going to the public next month and 96 which went to the public this time last year with some significant price/tax breaks. I guess this lottery is implemented by the public side and not the private side.

http://blog.gm-korea.co.kr/4450
http://blog.gm-korea.co.kr/4087
http://blog.gm-korea.co.kr/3866

Anybody know anybody who can speak/read Korean that might be able to find one of these people driving a Spark EV or find a VIN of one of the vehicles somehow?

Thank goodness for Google Chrome's built in translation function!

Bryce

Hello,

Just came across this thread.
I might have the solution. But as advertising is not allowed, you can reach my by PN.

Greeting from Germany
Bernd

If we could get past the programming issue to enable the camera (not certain, but difficult to test without the camera) ... did we ever figure out if the wiring harness was present in our cars?

I.e. would something like this work, would we have to run wires all the way to the head unit?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/hot-sale-car-rear-view-camera-Special-for-CHEVROLET-EPLCR-LOVA-AVEO-CRUZE-CAPTIVA-BUICK-GL8/553378821.html

Spoiler alert: I have a functioning rear view camera in my car!

I need to finish installing the camera and work on documentation, but it works. There is not any harness for the camera related equipment in the (US, 2014 model year) Spark EV.

Stay tuned for more information soon. :)

Bryce

Nashco said:
Spoiler alert: I have a functioning rear view camera in my car!

I need to finish installing the camera and work on documentation, but it works. There is not any harness for the camera related equipment in the (US, 2014 model year) Spark EV.

Stay tuned for more information soon. :)
Great! Can you at least mention what tools and parts you needed? If I'm going to order that camera from AliExpress, it's going to take a while to get here -- long enough for you to finish your writeup -- and if it requires any software / configuration modification to the car, I might be able to help with that.

I haven't got it fully functional yet and have more hardware on the way. I hate putting half baked details out there, I want to confirm it will function as expected. I have been traveling a lot lately for work, so if you want my info you'll just have to sit tight a couple more weeks. ;)

Bryce

Camera's here, btw.

iSSKZ0Jl.jpg

SparkMoore said:
Why does it appear that your steering wheel is on the right side of your car?
I suppose the image is reversed. It might be an issue with the camera, or maybe all backup cameras are like this? I assure you it's on the left side. :)

Back