Catastrophic tire failure with 5 MPH curb incident.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackHickey

While pulling into the BelMateo Bowl parking lot in San Mateo at less than 5 mph, my right front tire hit the curb. Big jolt and loud noise. I drove another 35 ft and parked my Spark. The tire was completely flat. AAA came and tried to inflate the tire. No luck. My Spark has less than 7500 miles on it. I'm replacing both front tires, and have notified NHTSA. IMHO, this should not have happened.

Will the Electronic Data Recorder have a record of the incident?

If the air bags didn't go off, there is no reason the event would be recorded. Is your concern that the air bags should have gone off from an event so significant that the tire blew, that the vehicle should record events that don't cause the air bags to go off, or that the tire should never go flat?

Some video/pictures would go a long way to understanding what happened. For example, if you hit a curb at that speed at an angle, it would absolutely pop the tire bead off the wheel seat, which would cause the tire to go flat immediately and not be able to inflate on site without other tools. This would be the case on any vehicle, that's just how tires and wheels are designed to go together and come apart. If you hit a curb straight on, that's a MASSIVE amount of force going into one tire (3000 pounds at 5 mph directly impacting one tire...yikes!) and I'm sure would not only make a hell of a noise, but could also cause tire damage. If no other suspension, wheel, or body damage occurred, that would be a lucky day. Without knowing more, it's hard to understand your concern.

Bryce

The Spark has tire pressure monitors, which, if sensing a sudden total loss of pressure, could(and should) trigger a record of the event variables. The 3000 pounds to which you refer, are not "per square inch", but are distributed over the integrated contact area. In my 63 years of driving, I can assure you that I have had far more serious encounters with curbs without catastrophic results. And, what about potholes, which is more of a concern?

JackHickey said:
The Spark has tire pressure monitors, which, if sensing a sudden total loss of pressure, could(and should) trigger a record of the event variables. The 3000 pounds to which you refer, are not "per square inch", but are distributed over the integrated contact area. In my 63 years of driving, I can assure you that I have had far more serious encounters with curbs without catastrophic results. And, what about potholes, which is more of a concern?

The tire pressure monitors are only sampled infrequently, many seconds at least and on some types they are not sampled at all for a few minutes at the start of a drive - I'm sure they wouldn't generate any trigger for a record to be taken.

It all depends upon how you hit the curb - I've had what I thought were minor brushes with the curb cause a flat tire (that was in an Acura Legend). The sidewalls on many tires are fairly vulnerable.

kevin

JackHickey said:
>While pulling into the BelMateo Bowl parking lot.....
>>I'm replacing both front tires, and have notified NHTSA.

>Are you sure you weren't pulling out of.. :?: :arrow: .. If you know what I mean.. :mrgreen: In my 75 years of bowling experience, there is a difference! :D How did you 'throw' that night? :!:

>>Life gives us reminder lessons, at any age. Let us know if the feds tell you anything different!

JackHickey said:
In my 63 years of driving, I can assure you that I have had far more serious encounters with curbs without catastrophic results.

Have you considered trying not to hit the curbs? Works pretty good for me, haven't blown a tire yet! ;)

You never responded to my original question asking what your concern is. Is your concern that the air bags should have gone off from an event so significant that the tire blew, that the vehicle should record events that don't cause the air bags to go off, or that the tire should never go flat? From an outsider's perspective, we know that you hit a curb and your tire went flat. Not much cause for concern there, certainly not enough to contact a federal safety administration, so it seems you'd help your case if you explained what your concern is.

Bryce

JackHickey said:
While pulling into the BelMateo Bowl parking lot in San Mateo at less than 5 mph, my right front tire hit the curb. Big jolt and loud noise. I drove another 35 ft and parked my Spark. The tire was completely flat. AAA came and tried to inflate the tire. No luck. My Spark has less than 7500 miles on it. I'm replacing both front tires, and have notified NHTSA. IMHO, this should not have happened.

Will the Electronic Data Recorder have a record of the incident?

Well you did say IMHO.

IMHO - sh*t happens. Given that you probably just had an unlucky hit that broke the bead of the tire I would do the following.

1. Have tire shop inspect tire in question. it is probably fine.
2. Have tire re-mounted.
3. Enjoy the holidays...

jeff

I had both front tires replaced at WheelWorks (2 blocks from the bowling alley)
I kept both old tires. When I got home, I inspected the tires, and could not identify the failed tire! I thought I been taken by WheelWorks. I then took them to Five Points Tires in Redwood City, which I have used for more than 30 years, and had Mark inspect them. At first he could not identify which one had been the right front tire because it didn't have a telltale amount of scuff marks from curb scraping he normally expects. Further investigation found a barely visible puncture in the sidewall close to the tread. Finger pressure exposed a hole about 1/8 of an inch. WheelWorks was off the hook.

Still on the hook were GM, Bridgestone and the BelMateo Bowl, owners of the parking lot. (yours truly accepts a small amount of contributory liability). I then went on Google Map's StreetView for a close-up of the curb which contributed to the tire failure. It looked ugly, so I drove back there and took a close up photo.

I am still concerned about the safety of my Spark EV which has served me so well this past year,(7,500 miles) but less concerned after examining the curb. I will provide NHTSA with the information I have gathered.

Tune in later for more...

BalMateo Bowl is off the hook. The City of San Mateo is responsible for the curb. I have filed a claim.
A Bridgestone rep called me on Saturday, Dec. 26th. They are sending someone to examine the tire this coming week.
I have yet to communicate with GM.

Pretty sure you just broke the bead of the tire. Not uncommon when grazing a curb. Have had it happen to me twice in 2 other cars. The tire is more than likely fine.

The stock tires on this car suck and will blow easily. I've done it twice already once on my own driveway and another time pulling in from the street. Any little bump regardless of the speed and the tires will crack.

I too admit to blowing out a side wall on a 40 series tire.
I was dikin with getting my phone in the mount while pulling out of my work parking lot. (Didn't want the phone to distract me from driving, you know).
I was barely going idle speed and bounced up on the curb at a very shallow angle.

It never accord to me to blame someone else....... :roll:

Back