Hard-working engine

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyfan

Hard-working engine
The 2013 Chevrolet Spark is equipped with a 16-valve, 1.2L four that develops 84 hp and 83 lb-ft of torque. Those numbers sound rather low these days, and they are; only the smart fortwo is less powerful -- and if you count EVs, so is the i-MiEV.

With a 0-100 km/h time of 14.1 seconds, the Spark isn’t exactly rapid. However, it doesn’t feel that slow under normal driving; not once during the test did I complain or swear about the car’s lack of grunt, especially with the car’s mission as a city dweller.

On the open road, the 2013 Chevrolet Spark actually drives bigger than it is. It tracks straight and true, like a larger car would. I was expecting it to be a chore out on the highway, and was surprisingly impressed.

Less impressive is the Spark’s optional automatic transmission, which only counts four gears. Upshifts don't come quickly, leaving the small 4-cylinder stranded at high revs for a few seconds while filling the cockpit with engine noise. At 100 km/h, it spins at 2,600 rpm.

As much as I tried, with a mix of city and highway driving, I couldn’t manage better than 7.5L/100km. If you want to obtain the Spark’s highway rating of 5.2L/100km, you’ll have to be extra gentle on the throttle and drive well below the speed limit on the open road.

The Sonic and Cruze both offer 6-speed automatics, which would help the Spark drop engine revs on the highway; then again, its higher cost would make the car even more expensive, and might not be well adapted to the 1.2L engine’s modest output.
Read more in Spark EV forum.

Fortunately, I don't think the Chevy Spark EV was designed to be a sports car, so in the realm of fuel economy where it belongs, I think it does very well.

The best thing about driving an EV like Chevy Spark is the instant torque you get when pressing on the gas(or should I say electric now?)

Jimmy said:
The best thing about driving an EV like Chevy Spark is the instant torque you get when pressing on the gas(or should I say electric now?)

yeah I love that aspect of EVs, i mean the power it outputs in a single sec is incredible

McHale said:
Jimmy said:

yeah I love that aspect of EVs, i mean the power it outputs in a single sec is incredible

what EV are you driving? a Chevy Spark or something Else?

Jimmy said:
McHale said:
Jimmy said:

what EV are you driving? a Chevy Spark or something Else?

I have been driving a Prius for a long time but have recently sold it and I'm waiting to see my what next car is going to be.

For now Chevy Spark is the first choice, and ford fusion is also in the mix...

Nice engine with great fuel economy. One hell of a car with decent price.

torycooper said:
Nice engine with great fuel economy. One hell of a car with decent price.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/12/10-worst-cars-of-2013/index.htm
10 worst cars of 2013
Don’t waste your money on these disappointing duds
Published: December 30, 2013 09:00 AM

Each year Consumer Reports buys and tests more than 80 vehicles on our track (see how we test), and while there were some cars really impressed us this year (ahem, Chevrolet Impala and Tesla Model S), there are plenty of vehicles that missed the mark. Here is a list of the worst cars we tested in 2013.

Chevrolet Spark CVT
Price as tested: $15,420

The Spark’s low price and clever connectivity features may be tempting, but for daily driving, it is painfully slow, irritatingly noisy, rides uncomfortably, and feels Spartan—and not in a mighty warrior way. We expected at least fuel economy would be impressive, but we measured only 31 mpg overall, which is less than larger, quicker, more substantial cars. What the Spark can do is fit four adults comfortably with easy access in a tiny package. But most cars deliver so much more....
As for some comparative mpg values on CR's tests (which are nothing like the EPA tests), see http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/02/the-most-fuel-efficient-cars/index.htm and http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/best-worst-fuel-economy/index.htm.

Back