Instrument cluster explanation

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drchocotaco

Hey guys, I'm sure this is explained somewhere but I couldn't find it easily so I figured I would ask you.

When you hit the configure button and flip through all the options of the instrument cluster display there is a setup that has yellow and green dots filling up/disappearing on either side of the display (battery range on left and current kW power output on right). My guess is that this represents the capacitors charged through regenerative braking? Seems like they "collect" from the bottom right side of the display and then "store" on the top left? If that's the case, then do the yellow dots represent just the opposite (lack of charged capacitors) indicating that you are driving too aggressively and not giving the regen a chance to work? It makes intuitive sense but I wonder if it is absolute. So for example, if you max out the green dots on the top right that does mean that you will no longer benefit from regen braking, indicating saturation of the capacitors?

Any insight would be appreciated!! :D

The display is simply mapping the kW number to dots. The engine can regen at a maximum rate of 60kW. Thus, if you're braking and hit 60kW and need additional braking, the car will use the traditional brakes to supplement.

AFAIK, there aren't any capacitors in play, and the power you generate from regenerative braking goes directly into the batteries.

Just a side note. But an important way to "Talk EV". :D
Engines make stink and waste energy by making >70% waste heat from their energy source.
Motors are very efficient at using, and making, energy.

fengshui said:
... The engine can regen at a maximum rate of 60kW. ...
AFAIK, there aren't any capacitors in play, and the power you generate from regenerative braking goes directly into the batteries.

Correct, no capacitors, because Li-Ion batteries are very efficient at the "what goes in vs. what comes out" ratio.

Our brake pads will last a very, very long time in normal driving. Make a decent stop, not getting near the 60kW indication. Go out and carefully touch your brake rotors. Or better yet use and IR temp reader.

As far as configuring the display, I'll let you figure out what you like. I set mine to the one similar to what I had in my Volt.

Back