Spark EV Low Gear Mode

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonSpark

Just wanted to know when, how, and result by using the L gear.

For me, not sure if it's good idea but many times the light turn red instead of using my hard break; I use the L gear instead (I didn't use the break because I was going too fast :oops: ). Any harm to the vehicle.

Down hill I use it to maintain the speed limit without burning my break.

Your info, thought, and opinion is greatly appreciated.

Limiting your speed while going down hill is exactly what "L" is for. It mimic's being in a lower gear be engaging the regenerative breaking more aggressively when your foot is off the accelerator.

With the Spark, putting it into "L" and taking your foot off the accelerator should have the same effect taking your foot off the accelerator and lightly pressing the brake while in "D". In both cases, only the regenerative braking would be engaged so you don't have to worry about using up your brake pads either way. There may be some difference in whether the brake lights go on, but I have not tested this either way.

Unlike a geared vehicle, changing the Spark from "D" to "L" only affects how the car responds to your control, but not how the car actually functions. This gives it a different feel, but I see no reason why you can't drive in either mode at any time.

VonSpark said:
Just wanted to know when, how, and result by using the L gear.

For me, not sure if it's good idea but many times the light turn red instead of using my hard break; I use the L gear instead (I didn't use the break because I was going too fast :oops: ). Any harm to the vehicle.

Down hill I use it to maintain the speed limit without burning my break.
I drive in L much of the time. It makes NO difference to the car while you are accelerating or cruising. In L, when you let up on the accelerator pedal, more regen kicks in and the car slows more rapidly. In L, when you press lightly on the brake pedal, you get even more regen.

When I am driving, I see a red light way down the road, I'll shift to D and coast. Then when I get closer, I use L. Near the intersection, I'll add light brake pedal pressure. Then coming up to the crosswalk, the car is almost stopped, I'll press the brake to stop the car from rolling. The brake pads should last the lifetime of the car!

This is a topic in Chevy Volt forums quite often. Many people like to drive in L all the time.

BTW, it's brake, not break. If you break it, you need to fix it. ;)

Coming from a manual transmission, I like to use L like I'm downshifting. When I know I need to slow down, I click it into L, but will bump it back to D to increase coasting if needed. I know I could use the brake and regen too, but I'm not quite sure what the threshold is from regen braking to brake pad, so I just count on L being 100% regen to cut out any guess work. I don't like driving in L mode otherwise, because I think greater coasting confers less energy losses than "over-braking" then having to accelerate again.

We drive in L always, because it is awesome. Once you get used to it you can just drive with one foot and never used the brake at all except to hold at a stop. It is very easy to control your speed to "coast" so there is no real need to have D mode except to make the transition easier for drivers coming from automatics.

That is what "L" is for.
Instead of dumping your vehicles energy into the wheel brakes and converting that forward motion energy into heat. Using "L" turns the electric motor into a generator when slowing down. This converts the forward motion energy into electricity to recharge the battery as the vehicle slows down.
The owners manual is a wealth of information but few people ever read it :cry: .

I drive in D mostly, but use L in traffic. L does produce more generation, but coasting in D is more fuel-efficient. I noticed a clear improvement in miles/kWh in D over L.

> L does produce more generation, but coasting in D is more fuel-efficient. I noticed a clear improvement in miles/kWh in D over L.

Yes, D is more efficient if L makes you slow more than necessary.

Just like when charging the battery, you only get 70% of the kwh back to power the car. The other 30% is lost when charging the battery. So you will lose 30% of the energy when coasting with regen, too.

Oberon said:
We drive in L always, because it is awesome. Once you get used to it you can just drive with one foot and never used the brake at all except to hold at a stop. It is very easy to control your speed to "coast" so there is no real need to have D mode except to make the transition easier for drivers coming from automatics.

Wow...Did know you can drive on L always. I thought I was nut switch between D and L once closer to the red light. Now I can play with the D and L to find out the most efficient way.

Thanks so much for the info. I do appreciated.

I luv English...two, too, and to. break and brake. :roll:

Back