EV range in winter

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKing4

Hello, guys!

I live in New Hampshire. I have heard that EVs lose considerable miles in the winter. In the summer I can go above 70 miles, up to 90. What can I expect in the winter?

When winter rolls around, your EV’s range can take a serious nosedive! That cold weather and using the heater really eat up the battery. So if you’re used to cruising 70-90 miles in the summer, be ready for more like 50-70 miles when it gets chilly.

@McKing4, Yep, cold weather can definitely reduce your EV's range. I have seen my car dropping around 20-30%. So, expect a range of around 50 miles as @baddecisions also said. It really depends on how much you use the heater and other electronics.

Hello, guys!

I live in New Hampshire. I have heard that EVs lose considerable miles in the winter. In the summer I can go above 70 miles, up to 90. What can I expect in the winter?
Hey there! In winter, you might see your range drop by 20-40% due to cold temperatures affecting battery performance. So, instead of 70-90 miles, you might get around 50-70 miles on a full charge. It’s a good idea to plan for shorter trips during the colder months.

Anything over 30-40 miles in Winter and you are really hating life. I live in Central MA so I speak from experience. Having to defrost windows with resistive heat and then scraping off the ice from the inside of the window can be quite dangerous. The heated seats help but are nowhere near as warm as my Jetta TDI was. Bring gloves too since the steering wheel will be cold in January, Feb and March. Traction isn't horrible but four snow tires are in order. The lug sizing is 100x4 so I got some 1990's Volkswagen wheels to work with four 14 inch Michelin X-ICE tires.

Last edited:
Back